Frugal Friday – Dollar Store Cake Stand

Welcome to Frugal Friday at The Little Brown House! In the next couple weeks I will be

sharing some crafts made with items from the Dollar Store that equal $5 or less.

I am getting ready to enter Living With Lindsey’s 5 dollar challenge.

I would like to ask that no one take these ideas to use for the same contest.

Whew – glad that’s out of the way – I hate confrontation!

On to the project. I have been to the Dollar Tree twice already – and spent about

$30 preparing for the $5 challenge… my husband just doesn’t get that, but

I know you all do! Fortunately I found that I can enter the contest more than

once! So I am hoping to run each project by you – my amazing readers- and

get some feadback on which ones you like the most.

Here is what I started with for this Cake Stand.

Yes, these are those tacky tin burner covers. Two in a pack for $1.

The candlesticks were also – you guessed it- one dollar each.

Total project cost – $3. The contest terms say you can use glue, paint,

or paper that you already have at home.

I put the gorilla glue on the end of each glass candlestick –

Then stuck it on the back of the burner cover.

I did this with both covers, then weighted them down and let them dry.

Cute weights huh!

After they dried – I did a photo shoot with them.

Everybody need to get a little dolled up for a photo shoot – so…

In case you are interested – these are some chocolate coffee bars

I made – they are very yummy – find them here.

And don’t they look cute on the plates!

Then after I ate all the cookies, I decided to try some muffins on it..

but wait – there’s more!

I added the other tier and put a jar of butter and knife on it.

Wouldn’t this make an adorable little continental breakfast set up!

You could add a little stack of plates alongside it…. oh – maybe like this!

I am liking them – they aren’t sturdy enough for heavy items – but

work great for food or small knick knacks –

I could see giving these as gifts filled with goodies – and at 1.50 a pop – dang afordable!

Let me know what you think. Tacky Tin or Simply Sassy?

I’d love to hear from you – and thanks for stopping by! If you want to leave a comment

you have to go back up to the top of the post – Thanks!

I am linking up to these other fabulous parties – please go check them out!

Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage

Simply Sweet Home – Friday Favorites

Show and Tell at My Romantic Home

The Shabby Nest Frugal Friday

Lit And Laundry – Finished For Friday

Finding Fabulous Frugalicious Friday

That’s So Cruegly – Craft Friday

The Inspired Room

Funky Junk Interiors – Saturday Night Special

Get your craft on Thurs.

1. Beth

What an easy and cute idea! TFS!

2. gail

how clever! I’ve thought about joining in, but couldn’t find anything. I think I was trying to hard!
    great job!
    gail

3. threeundertwo

I Love this idea! Especially the glass cloche that you found to fit. Why can’t I ever think of brilliant stuff like this? Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

4. Jessica Hills

That is such a great idea! I am totally going to do that! I would love to have you join my Mclinky party Favorite Things Friday the 19th if you are interested!

5. Pam L.

That is very cute and never would have thought of using a burner cover in that way! Look forward to seeing your next ideas.

6. Tammy @ tinselshop

What a great idea, looks great in your kitchen!

Best wishes,
    Tammy

7. Hootin' Anni

Oh my gosh….this is amazing!!! And I’m definitely making a note on this whole idea. I’m gonna make ME one!!!

My Show n Tell is just Springtime Flowers in our Yard A nice treat after a long, cold winter!! Stop over and ‘smell the roses’ with me if you can! I’d love your company!!

8. Cindy Conner

Talk about thinking outside the box! Girl, you are amazing! I am in the challenge too but would have never in a million years thought about doing this with stove burner lids! I love this………………………..I am so making one for me! Be blessed, Cindy

9. Yvonne

Sharyl, Oh my goodness! When I saw those burner covers I thought, “What pretty thing can be made with those?” WELL, was I ever surprised. Your double decker cake stand is a true treasure! Love it!!!!! I think you made a silk purse out of a sow’s ears. And I want to make that purse…er… plate stand too. Very, very fabulous post! Kudos to you.
    Yvonne

10. Tania

Those are Great! When I first saw the package of burner covers I assumed you were going to paint them, but they look so cool as they are, I love it!

Tania

11. stefanie

wow, you are sooo clever!

12. Linds@That'sSoCuegly

GET.OUT. That’s brilliant and SO vintage looking! Lovely! Lovely!

13. Lori

Very clever! I think these are really cute.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.

Lori

14. Meg

Great idea and great look! It’s so cute, your photoshoot. I didn’t realize cake stands could be so versatile. :) Great job!

15. Marianne@Songbird

Oeps, I almost didn’t find the link to your comment form.
    I think they look cute!

16. Nancy's Daily Dish

GREAT idea…very cute, clever and stylin’! I like the cloche

17. The Lumberjack's Wife

I don’t know how you even see those burner covers and think “cake stand!” I would have seen them and thought: “burner covers!”

Great job! Good luck on the contest. Hope you don’t have to confront anyone! :) (I also hate confrontation. So scary)

18. The Lumberjack's Wife

FYI: for some reason I always have a hard time finding where to leave a comment.
    Then again, I have 4 kids and I am always tired. It could just be me.

19. admin

Hey Mrs. Lumberjack – thanks for letting me know about the comment problem! I can’t seem to get the location of them to change – but at least now I can let people know to go back up to the top of the post for them. And having 4 kids and being tired does not effect the fact that you are a smart, adorable and fun Lumberjacks Wife!

20. Roslyn

How clever & oh so frugal

21. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home

Good for you using your creative juices for the $5 challenge. When I walk into the $ store, I feel like so many other creative bloggers will beat my pants off :). BTW, I have a lot of LB, too!

22. Debbie

This is wonderful! I love it. I like how you ate all the cookies and had to do some more baking….hmmmm….sounds a little like me!! Hahaha. I like how you spent all the money for the $5.00 challenge…and yes I totally understand! You are funny! But truthful. I like that! Big smile. good luck too on the contest.
    blessings,
    Debbie

23. Diane @ InMyOwnStyle

Whenever I see these burner covers I always think they will be more work to clean then just cleaning the burner and pass them by. Not anymore – what you did with them is truly fabulous. Now I won’t be able to find them, now that I want them for this project.

24. denise

Awesome! Following you from Funky Junks Saturday Nite Special!
    Come by for a visit!

25. Mrs. Jen B

Oh my God that is the most adorable thing ever! I have seen many cake stand projects but never with the tin burner covers – what a fantastic idea, you’re so creative!!

26. Heather

what a neat idea

27. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest

That was a very clever idea!

28. Jeanne

I really like this idea. I forsee a trip to the dollar store in my near future. I have a couple wooden candlesticks just sitting in a closet. I’m picturing using them and spraypainting the whole thing. You have a wonderful eye to figure out to make these from burner covers.

29. Jerri

What an excellent project! Why can’t I think of things like this? Thanks for linking it up at my party! Hope to see you again this week!

30. Autumn

Wow, that’s a super cute idea! I’m putting that in the memory bank. 😉

31. Chari

Hello…

Well my friend, I am just coming to this fun filled project…via your Dollar Store Challenge links! I have sooo enjoyed seeing all three of these fabulous projects! Seriously…I mean fabulous! You have really created some really nice things…so inexpensively! I loved your beautiful wall art…and the cute Grandkid’s door signs…but I must say that this is my favorite of the three! I just love, love, LOVE how you crafted these beautiful stacking (or not) plates! In a million years, I would have never thought to use those burner covers in such a way…this is sooo awesome! The colors and design on the covers are really pretty! Ohh…this is an awesome idea! And…I also loved how you used it with the cloche cover! They really would make great gifts! I haven’t checked out the other Dollar Store Challenge projects, but I think you have a real winner here! Actually, any one of your three projects would be a great win!!! Thank you so much for sharing this idea with us…I can’t wait to get to the Dollar Store now! Hehe!

By the way…I loved your photo shoot! Such pretty photos!!! Ohhh…and I love those beautiful wicker canisters…gorgeous!!!

Warmest wishes…
    Chari @Happy To Design

32. Beth@The Stories of A2Z

Such a cute and thrifty cake stand. I love this idea!

33. Beth

Great idea…thanks for sharing how-to! Beth

34. Jess @ Just a Blink

Can’t go wrong with a muffin stand! Love the charm!

35. Dreams and Decor

Truly creative! I never would have thought to use those burner covers for cake stands! Awesome idea! Patti

36. Erin @ Where Beauty Meets Function

What an adorable idea!!

I’m forever doing Dollar Tree crafts. It’s my favorite place to craft from. I’d love for you to stop by sometime and take a look.

I’m going back to see your other clever ideas! :)

37. jessica

Love it! Those burner covers aren’t tacky. They look great for fall! :)

38. Crystal

I made one of these in Sept! I posted it on my blog and linked it back to you. Check it out and tell me what you think. :) I’m thinking of making another one for my little one B-day party.

39. CAROL

These are really cute. Just discovered your blog on WIWW and started exploring. I’m a rather new blogger, & as much as I enjoy all the enthusiasm from all the 20’s & 30’s patrons, it’s kind of nice to hear some enthused comments from someone maybe a bit closer to my age group. I’m not saying you’ve reached my “age of wisdom” yet, but still a bit closer. I’ve become a follower and know your blog is going to be a lot of fun. Happy New Year!
    CAS

40. Kasey

You are goooood! LOVE it!!

41. Robin

Saw this on pinterest, well actually the newer version you did for your daughters shower – which is funny b/c that is what I am looking for cake stands for – my sisters baby shower! Probably to hold cookies. Do you think it would work well with hot glue as well? I was thinking of trying it out with that instead.

42. melesa

What a cute idea that I’m going to copy from you! Now I want to go to the Dollar Store. It’s rainy and cold here so I will probably not go tonight. Keep up the great creativity 😉

43. Laura

Love the juxtaposition of your on-the-cheap crafted Dollar Store cake stands modeled against the “not Dollar Store” Longaberger baskets…

44. Dee Bruyette

Awsome idea I Wil be back to see what else you come up with. Love dollar store stuff. My first go to store. Just spent hours on dollar store site.

45. Jeanie

Love them thought of using glass plates

46. Stephanie

This is an awesome idea. Can you stack fruit on them as well?