"Good and Perfect Gift" Sign

March 24, 2010 22 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Welcome to The Little Brown House!

I am updating this post to share again, and wanted to mention

that the scripture I used for the sign is one of my favorites -

James 1:17

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down

from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not

change like shifting shadows.”

Now on to the project!

Today I want to show you how I completed my

DIY Photo Wall

in my family room – hope you like it!

A month or so ago, I put up a row of pictures of our grandchildren on our Family Room wall.

Aren’t they seriously the most gorgeous grandchildren on earth? I am being

totally impartial here – just stating the truth..

Anyway – I decided I needed something on the wall above the pictures.

One of my favorite blogs, Thrifty Decor Chick , who I want to be when I grow up

(grow up in blog years, in real years I am much older than her!)

has a photo arrangement on her stairway wall that I just love.

Whew – how was that for a run on sentence!

She has a vinyl saying on the wall along with the pictures – it says “The best things in life

aren’t things.” So of course I wanted a saying above my pictures, I decided to

use “Every good and perfect gift is from above”, which is one of my

favorite scriptures from James.

And my grandkids are one of my favorite gifts! Perfect!

I started out with another one of those cabinet doors that

I love so much from our Habitat For Humanity outlet store.

You may remember my first craft with one of these – my

Family Name Signs I made for Christmas

You can check out how I made them Here.

Anyway – back to our story!

This door needed a little help, so my husband filled in

some dents with putty, and I sanded them down.

Then I painted it with some black satin latex. I wanted

just a tiny bit of sheen to it..

Once again I ordered my vinyl from my friend Shelly

at Say Anything Expressions. And once again she came

through for me! This order was only $13.50 for the vinyl

plus shipping. Fabulous!! And it came so quickly too!

Here is how it looks when you get it -

To start out, I laid out the paper to get an idea of placement

Then I pulled out my adorable pink measuring tape that

my Mother-in-law got me! I measured to make sure I

was placing it evenly.

You peel off the 1st backing paper – then lay the vinyl face down on the board.

I use a small spatula (cause I am such a tool pro) to press

the vinyl down as I am pulling off the final backing and placing

the words on the board.

Finished the top – now on to the bottom!

After I got the whole thing done – I decided it looked a little blank

in the center – so I ordered an embellishment from Shelly to put there.

This is the one I choose – cute huh!

So here it is completed and on the wall –

I have decided I seriously heart vinyl! It makes such an inexpensive and

personalized impact! I don’t know why it took so long to get

invented! We had a man on the moon 40 years ago!!

(As a side note – I am thinking about joining Exclamation Points Anonymous..)

Any way – tell me what you think!

About my gandkids being the most

adorable children on the face of the earth I mean….

And thanks for stopping by The Little Brown House, where you can always

find exclamation points and run on sentences –

Come back soon!

Ever the party girl, I am hooking up with these blog parties-

Go check them out – you will be glad you did!

Kelly’s Korner – Show Us Your Life

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple

My Romantic Home

Remodelaholic’s Anonymous

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Finer Things Friday @ The Finer Things In Life

The Shabby Nest – Frugal Friday

Tator Tots and Jello – Weekend Wrap Up Party

1. Cindy Conner

Love it, love it, love it! It turned out simply beautiful. And I must say that you do have some beautiful grands there! ALMOST as beautiful as mine! Ha! Be blessed. Cindy

2. gail

that sign turned out really cute. It looks great with your picture wall. I too am a huge fan of !!! and runon sentences! :)
    While cleaning out my garage yesterday I found a random assortment of about 10-12 cabinet doors of all sizes and styles. I see some signs in my future!
    gail

3. Katie

Wow, I love it! Great idea to use the cabinet door- I love the Habitat for Humanity ReStores as well. It turned out so beautiful. And you do have gorgeous grandchildren! I will probably have to join you in exclamation points anonymous- I use them far too much. :-)

4. Adrienne

Love it!! I am inspired now! We are hanging up pictures this week and now I want a vinyl phrase above mine! Also, I find your excessive exclamations endearing! It is a much nicer way to show enthusiasm than all caps, which just makes it look like one is yelling. EXCESSIVE EXCLAIMERS UNITE!!!

5. The Lumberjack's Wife

Love it! The vinyl is awesome!

6. Sarah

First off let me say that YES, in fact, you’re grandchildren are quite adorable. Second, I too heart vinyl. With my Cricut and a roll of vinyl I can whip a crafty creation in a matter of minutes. It’s making my craft projects too much fun! Thirdly (is that a word?) when you start the exclamation points anonymous I’m gonna need to join! I just get too excited when I’m typing sometimes that I can’t help but use them! ;> Thanks for the great post. Your photo wall is fab-u-lous!!!
    God’s blessings,
    Sarah :D

7. Delores

This turned out great!

8. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest

Adds such a nice touch!

9. Sheryl

Beautiful. Love it!

10. Ann Marie @ Household6Diva

A CABINET DOOR!!?!?! That’s BRILLIANT! I am definitely going to use this idea when we move back to the states! (My hubby is Army and we are currently stationed in Germany.)

Your grandchildren ARE adorable! And that saying is just perfect!
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely AND frugal idea!

Happy Friday!
    (Stopping by from Finer Things Friday and Tidy Mom.)

11. TidyMom

What a FABULOUS idea! I love it and it adds so much to your wall!!

Thanks for linking up to I’m Lovin’ It! Have a Fantastic Weekend!

12. Bridgette Woosley

Very neat…very clean…very PRETTY!
    ~Bridgette

13. Ann Marie

Wow, that turned out amazing! It adds just the right touch to your photo wall. I too have a cabinet door from the ReStore that I’m in the process of painting, can’t see to figure out how I want to do it.

Anywho, thanks for all of your help on my pillow situation. I *never* thought of cutting out the flowers and adding them as appliques and piping! Love that idea, thanks so much!!

14. Treasia

Your grandchildren are adorable! Now the whole wall just pops. It’s perfect.

15. Sandi

That is wonderful! You did a great job! Your grandchildren are indeed adorable; but so are mine! *smile* Have a lovely weekend.

Blessings,
    Sandi

16. Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse

I love this! great resource for vinyl, I’ll have to check it out. I’m your newest follower :)

17. Amy @ Finer Things

Very well done! Photos of loved ones certainly warm up a home.

18. Funky Junk Interiors

Sooo clever! I’ve been looking for old cupboard doors to do something similar. Yours turned out so high end looking. :) Lovely wall feature!

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

19. Laura

This is so cute. What a great idea!

I am featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I’d love it if you stopped by my blog!

20. neli

Just stunning. Love it so much!!!!!!!!!

21. jenjen

Such a cute sign. I love that wall you put it on with the pictures. So pretty!

Thanks for linking up!

XOOX
    Jen

22. Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick

That is really, really lovely!! I just love it. So simple and classic. Thanks for letting me know about this!