Mama's Homemade Ice Cream

As my dear friend The Lumberjack’s Wife would say – hold on to your pants people!

( You should so go check her out – she provides a daily laugh and giggle for me!)

You are either going to hate me or love me for this recipe. Or you may love me and hate

your thighs, which I could handle a lot better.. please don’t hate me..

I need to state for the record that I have never in my life called my Mother – Mama.

She insisted from childhood that myself and other 6 siblings all call her Mother. She

hated any shortened form of the word. But the recipe sounds so much better with “Mama”

in front of it! Just don’t tell her…

This is the ice cream I grew up on, and I believe it is about the best in the world.

I make it a little differently than my Mother, as I struggle with acute paranoia.

I refuse to eat raw eggs. Her recipe takes six of them. I have made it for 20 years now

without the eggs and everyone seems to love it. I will give you her recipe so you can

either follow mine (the obvious choice) or take their life in their hands with

the raw eggs…. Good thing I never let my opinion show through on my post’s huh?

Here is the recipe I copied 20 some years ago – you can tell it has had lots of use!

Here are all the ingredients, including my ice cream maker.

The lemon is a special addition. It gives a taste that you can’t put your

finger on, but know you love!

Start by whipping one 8 oz package of cream cheese.

Add 2 1/2 cups sugar and mix together.

And if you want to do it just like me, be sure you have a 15 year old $9 hand

mixer that sprays the contents of the bowl over every wall and cabinet

withing 20 feet of the bowl… or you could just skip that part.

Now is where you would add 6 raw eggs, one at a time, beating

after each one, if you want to follow the original recipe.

(Or want to play Russian roulette with salmonella)

Ok – stop with the boo’s and hiss’s – I know it is probably safe and people

eat raw eggs every day — it is just a phobia of mine!

Now add 2 Tbl. of vanilla and 1 Tbl. of lemon juice. My Mom’s recipe calls for 1/2

Tbl. but I always add more than that. It is also important that you use fresh lemon

and not bottled juice. Just trust me on this one.

Yummy.. mix well

Now add 1 quart half & half to the bowl while mixing.

Be sure it is combined well. This is the part that makes it stick to

your hips.. or tummy.. or face if you lick the bowl..

You will at that point follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.

I pour the mixture into mine, then add milk to the fill line.

My Mom’s machine was the old wooden bucket kind –

I still remember the anticipation as the bucked cranked.

Some things never change! Here are my grandkids doing the same thing..

It usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes.

Be still my heart….

I divide mine into 3 containers. Much easier to fit in the freezer than that tall

round metal cylinder  –  plus with the tall cylinder when the ice cream gets to the bottom,

your elbow get all sticky trying to get the last scrapes out. Or maybe that is just me…

Ok – here are the beauty shots!! I prefer to serve this unadorned – in all its

naked vanilla beauty. (Kind of like my legs in summer time)

Well – there it is! My mom is 90 years old and still make this – it is always the hit of the party!

Here is a post about my Mothers 90th bday party if you are interested!

My Mother

Mama’s Homemade Ice Cream

One 8 ounce package cream cheese

2 1/2 cups sugar

6 large eggs

2 Tablespoons Vanilla

1 Tablespoon Lemon juice

1 quart half and half

Milk

Beat cream cheese, add sugar and mix well

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one.

Mix in flavorings and cream.

Add milk to fill line

I am hooking up to these amazing parties – because that is just the kind of gal I am!

Go check them out!

Blessed with Grace

The Girl Creative

Sumo Sweet Stuff

HappyDay

All Thingz Related

Designs By Gollum – Foodie Friday

1. SnoWhite

looks great to me! My vanilla recipe doesn’t call for eggs, and I love that — I’m with you about the bacteria 😉

2. The Lumberjack's Wife

Just like my thighs! ha! Thanks for the shoutout and that looks delicious. I am with you on raw eggs.
    Boo salmonella!

3. Melissa

Wish I had some right now! I really like that font you are using :-)

4. Jacqueline

Looks so yummy. We are big on ice cream during the summer too. I just made a root beer flavored one yesterday! In my recipe that calls for eggs, I use Egg Beaters, who wants to take the risk, especially with little ones around. I haven’t heard of cream cheese before, so I will have to try this. I am sure it makes it so much creamier.

5. Laura @ PARING DOWN

My birthday is on Saturday, and so as a summer girl I wanted two things every year: a Slip
    ‘n Slide (I NEVER got one, so I bought one for my summer daughter, of course) and homemade ice cream: preferably peach and banana.

That looks heavenly!

I also love that if you’re going to make ice cream, make the real deal and avoid all the preservatives and “stuff” that goes into the pre-made. YUM YUM YUM!!!

Happy Monday,
    Laura

6. admin

I have made this recipe using fat-free cream cheese and nonfat milk to make it Weight Watchers friendly and I still love it! It is definitely not quite as creamy, a little more icy, but still oh so yummy!

7. Gail @ Faithfulness Farm

Oh, YUM!! I LOVE ice cream and homemade is TOTALLY the best!

Blessings!
    Gail

8. Jessy

I need an ice cream maker! Just as an FYI – the whole salmonella thing doesn’t actually come from the egg itself. The bacteria is on the shell (from chicken poop and such), so if you thoroughly wash the egg before cracking it open you should be fine.

9. Bridgette Woosley

YUMMMM! Thanks for helping us have another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

10. Cindy Conner

YUMMO as Rachel Ray would say! The pictures itself are simply heavenly! Thanks for sharing. Be blessed. Cindy

11. T.Bird @ Nestled In Rosenberg

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I’m so happy I found your post! I bought an electric homemade icecream maker at a garage sale a few months ago. It brought back so many childhood memories of family reunions and lots of homemade icecream! I just had to have it! I made a batch using a recipe I found online. It wasn’t so pleasant. :( Your post had me at “Mama’s Homemade…” I’m going to try this recipe, I know I won’t be disappointed! :)

T.bird

12. Heather

This looks so good! I featured your post if you want to check it out and grab a button!

13. Sara L.

I love homemade ice cream and this recipe looks like one that will become a favorite. Thank you for sharing it.

14. Happier Than A Pig in Mud

Well if I ever saw a recipe that was a keeper, this would be it! Thanks for sharing!

15. Terri Steffes

Yummy! Anything with cream cheese has my vote!

16. Suzy

I hope to God your Mama..er I mean your MOTHER doesn’t read your blog. You’re in trouble if so! lol This is a unique recipe that sounds so rich and delicious! I must try..and it makes you wonder..what the heck do the eggs do if this is so good without them???? Who needs the extra calories. :-) Thanks for joining me at the Ice Cream Social! So many good recipes…maybe we’ll get a few more tomorrow. Stay tuned!

17. Barb

I keep hearing one should have a good basic vanilla recipe – will copy and file this one to start with! Hope your ‘MAMA’ forgives you for changing the recipe!! LOL

18. bj

OMGosh…this is amazing. Cream Cheese ??? Well….Y.U.M.
    Thanks so much for this one…maybe try it today.

I’m signing up to follow you…I love your cute sense of humor. Come by to see me when you can..:)
    xo bj

19. Susan

Most of the ice cream recipes I’ve seen that have eggs in the ingredients are tempered on the stove with the rest of the mixture so that are actually cooked before freezing, but with 8 oz of cream cheese who needs eggs?! I think it’s so cool that you’re still using your mother’s recipe! It sounds delicious with the lemon juice and cream cheese. Happy 90th Birthday to her too!

20. Beth

It sounds delicious! I think you could substitute egg beaters – or do as you did, and just eliminate the eggs. The cream cheese adds a different touch. I’m eager to give your recipe a try!
    Blessings, Beth

21. Vee

Oh that does sound good. This social has taught me one thing right quick…I need an ice cream maker! Of all your wonderful pictures, I loved the one of your grandchildren waiting for good things to happen.

22. Carol

Your ice cream looks great! I love the mixing bowl, too! very pretty! LOL, love your sense of humor!

23. Julie

This reminds me of the vanilla ice cream we used to make YEARS ago. We used the old hand crank freezer. Including the raw eggs! :) Congratulations on Mom’s 90th. My father is 91.

24. Marsha

What a fun post – I love your sense of humor :) I will definitely give this one a try since I have never seen another recipe with cream cheese in it. Does it taste like a frozen cheesecake treat? I tried an egg based recipe for my contribution but you added the simmering hot liquid a cup at a time to the egg so that it cooked, I will leave out the raw eggs too.

25. jane

Cream cheese in the vanilla ice cream…very rich! This recipe sounds wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing it.

Jane (artfully graced)

26. Debbie

I have the same “old” ice cream maker! I wish I had some of your ice cream right now. Sounds good enough for breakfast :-) Congratulations on Mom’s 90th.

27. Emily

You are an evil evil woman! =) I literally read your post and promptly went out and bought my self an ice cream maker and all the fixin’s. I made your recipe sans eggs (I am in complete agreement with you), the flavor was AWESOME but the texture was grainy. I have been told it was because I did not chop up my ice…which I didn’t. So now I am completely obsessed with it and making the perfect ice cream. So tonight…I try chocolate! Wish me luck.

28. Beth

Hi! It looks great, and I want to make it next wknd. However, I don’t have the type of ice cream cannister with a fill line, and I am wondering how much milk to add. Thanks much and have a great wknd!
    BethieLauren@gmail.com