Coffee Filter Trees
Welcome to The Little Brown House!
I promised in my Christmas Mantle post that I would do a tutorial
of the Coffee Filter trees I featured, and here it is.
My first Coffee Filter project was last spring, when I made my
I was amazed at how easy they were to work with
And how pretty they ended up looking!
Since that time I have been looking out for another project to do with the filters.
A few weeks ago The Nester did a post about the wreaths, and she mentioned mine.
She also did a tutorial on some coffee filter trees, and I decided I had to try them!
I purchased two styrofoam cones from Michaels at $6.99 each.
What on earth are they making styrofoam out of these days?
It seemed kind of pricy to me! Fortunately the coffee filters were only a dollar a pack!
I should mention- I was working on my mantle at the same time
so the table is a bit of a mess – I should have cleaned up for the pictures
but as usual, I was impatient!
The Nester used a glue gun to make hers, but I decided to go with straight pins
I grabbed two liners at a time and folded them together at the bottom,
then I placed a pin through them and stuck them into the cone.
Once I had them started, I added pins to make them stable, using about 3 pins per pair.
I only put the pins on the bottom part of the filter that I had pinched together with my fingers –
leaving the top ruffled part to flare out and away from the cone.
I just kept repeating this and going around the cone-
working my way up. I scrunched the filters together too.
As you go around, keep checking for holes and fill them as you go.
Doesn’t it already look pretty! It must be the girl in me
that loves that ruffled look!
But when you are done, you will notice that it is a little over-ruffled,
and needs to be trimmed to become more “tree like”
I don’t have a picture of the trimming, but I just took a pair of scissors and
thinned out the top so that it was a little more tapered. I also evened up the sides.
As much as I loved the white, I was placing them up on my mantle
with a very light background. I wanted them to stand out a little bit.
So I gave them a few sprays of silver paint.
The next step was to give them a base and a top.
I used some E-6000 glue for this.
I glued some glass dollar store candlesticks to the bottom of the cones.
Then I used the same glue to adhere a silver ornament to the top of the cone.
I let them dry overnight. The hurricanes beside them are just dollar store
vases glued to more candlesticks. I also used them in my mantle.
I was so happy with the way they turned out!
They look so good with the blue and silver theme I chose this year.
Go take a look at them on my mantle!
But they would look good in just about any color setting
I hope you liked them!
And I hope you make some of your own to enjoy!
Thank you so much for coming by the house!
Go check out the fun Christmas Craft party at Centsational Girl!