French Graphic Pillow

As usual, here I am one of the last ones to jump on the

French print pillow wagon! I guess I need to look at it like I do

buying a new electronic gadget. I just wait till all of the kinks to be

worked out before I join in!

I decided a while back I wanted to make a couple of pillows, and when I was finally

ready to make them I went looking for paint drop cloth fabric.

I found this package in the paint department of a local store.

It cost $12. If I had paid attention in school, I would be able to tell you

what that makes the price per yard of this… I can tell you I had enough left

over to make a slipcover for my embarrassing carport…

Confessions of a Carport Owner.

I used the pillow form as a guide to cut two squares of the fabric –

leaving enough room all the way around to make the seams.

I then choose a graphic to use for the pillow front.

I went to The Graphics Fairy’s website – if you have never been you should go!

She has thousands of different graphics that you can download for free.

Here is a link to the one I used.

French Grain Sack

On a side note – for those of us that don’t know french –

Wouldn’t it be funny if all of those pretty saying we are spreading

all around our homes were something less that appealing?

For instance – I have decided that the one above says:

Grains:

Move the Bowels.

Whatcha think?

Anyway –

I printed the graphic out on a piece of light iron on transfer paper with my printer.

Be sure you reverse the image first.

(The Graphics Fairy link download has one reversed and one not)

I cut out around the graphic and laid it out wrong side up on the pillow fabric.

Then I followed the ironing instructions that came with the transfer paper.

After it had cooled, I carefully pulled off the paper backing.

And here is the finished piece! Yes, I know the A in Paris is a bit scruffy-

I wanted the shabby look….

Is anyone else out the so thankful

that calling something

“shabby”covers a multitude of mistakes?!

Now you put right sides together, and sew up three sides of your square.

Side note – It has been years since I have sewn. I used to

do it all the time! Apparently machines have changed in that time.

They have made both the needles and the thread much smaller

and I found I needed to put on magnifying glasses to thread it…

(What do you mean how old am I? That has nothing to do with it…)

After you are done with the three sides, turn it inside out and insert pillow!

Then tuck in the unstitched side for the photo shoot because you don’t have time

to hand sew it together before the light is gone.

and don’t you dare ask me a few weeks from now if

I have done it yet either….I swear it will happen!!

Isn’t it cute! I love mixing textures and styles together like this in a room!

While I was at it, I decided to make one more pillow – this one with a number on it.

I heart numbers

This time I made the graphic with my Silhouette machine –

I just picked a font I liked and put in the No. 1

then choose a flourish to add to it. I reversed it and then printed it out with my printer.

The rest of the process is just the same as the previous one –

And once again, I loved the results!

So there you have it!

I am loving the iron on fabric aspect – it opens up a world of possibilities!

Hope you enjoyed it – and feel inspired to make your own!

Just a reminder, I am redoing some things on my website in the next

couple of days, so please be patient with me:)

And please come back and see me – I am terribly

neurotic and need your constant presence!

Comments are good too……:)

Visit thecsiproject.com

The Graphics Fairy

Today's Creative Blog

1. Paula

Oh my, I laughed out loud when you made the comment about sewing machines making the needles and whatnot smaller. I’m with you, sister. I hate that everything these days is smaller and I have to put my glasses on to thread a stinkin’ needle!!! Not to mention file my nails ::::sigh:::: I will never ask your age, because I’m right there with you.

admin Reply:

Such a pain! I never even had to have an eye exam till I hit 40!

Robyn's Nest Reply:

Paula: I laughed out loud too. I haven’t sewed in several years and pulled out my daughter’s beginner sewing machine to make a quick pillow insert yesterday. When I discovered that it didn’t have a light on it and I couldn’t even see the eye of the needle, I resorted to my grandmother’s vintage Singer machine because it DOES have a light. Still needed my reading glasses but the light helped a lot!

Sharyl: I’ve yet to jump on the DIY French print pillow wagon myself but I do know I will in the future. I love the graphics you chose and I really really really (yes, really) want that black chair. Sooo cute.

~ Robyn

admin Reply:

Robyn – judging by your picture I can’t believe you would be at the “readers” glasses stage of your life yet! And here is a link to the black chair – it was a thrift store redo.

2. ingrid

i love it! i want to make some now! i think i may have some iron on printer paper around here somewhere…

3. janet

I love this pillow, you come up with amazing ideas. I just may have to try this myself.
    hugs
    janet

4. Tonya Diehl

Sharyl-
    These pillows are darling & turned out great! So funny that you used the paint drop cloths…I have just been introduced to this whole concept by my mom…she just reupholstered her entire couch with drop cloth…it turned out amazing!! I actually just did a post on it yesterday! Such a great idea & so affordable! Anyway…the pillows are gorgeous! I especially love the No. 1!!

Tonya

admin Reply:

Would love to see a pic of the couch!! What a great idea!

5. Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement

These pillows are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial too! I’ve used the Graphics Fairy’s graphics before, but haven’t ever used them with an iron on transfer. I think that will be one of my next projects!
    I love the idea of the dropcloths too. I can make pillows for everyone. :)

I’m here from Between Naps on the Porch.

Have a great day!
    Pam

6. Vicky

Thank you for such a great tutorial! I am a new to bloggin, but blogs like yours give me confidence that I too, can do it! :)

Your DIY projects are amazing!! Please keep them coming!!!

xoxo

7. Lydia

I love your blog. You make me smile:) Can I ask where you buy iron-on transfer paper? I’d love to try this project!

admin Reply:

Thanks so much! I got the paper at Michaels – but I have seen it in Office Max too.

8. SheilaG

These pillows are great! I’ve been looking at those french-y pillows on lots of blogs, but never thought of using iron-on. Good idea! Now here’s a good/lazy idea for you- just use some fabric glue to close up that last side! :)

9. SheilaG

Oh, and as far as threading needles, just wait ’til you realize your close-up vision seems to get worse in direct proportion to the number of hairs sprouting on the chin! (maybe I should have made this comment anonymously…)

admin Reply:

I refuse to discuss chin hairs – they are of Satan…

SheilaG Reply:

Hmm, hadn’t thought of that. Maybe calling a priest would work better than a pair of tweezers?

admin Reply:

Pretty much spewed my herbal tea when I read that one Sheila!!

10. Erin

I love your blog! You always make me smile and laugh out loud. The bonus is that your projects are easy to follow and your recipes are delicious. :)

admin Reply:

What a sweet comment! ( the check is in the mail…tee hee!)

11. Pattie @ Olla-Podrida

This is fabulous! I laughed out loud at your “Move the Bowels” comment. You did a great job with this pillow and I appreciate the tutorial as well as the info on The Graphics Fairy. What a great website!

12. Kelli

You are so very cute.. and crafty! LOVE YOUR SITE.. it is so inspiring!

(I don’t know if you remember me, I was friends with Melissa waaaay back when- you will have to ask her to remind you of who I was!)
    Glad I found your blog (through Taylor!)

13. Nan

Hello! I love your pillows AND your writing style. I do have a question for you. I have used the iron-on paper and I don’t like the shiny/plastic-y surface that remains after ironing on my design. Do you have a way to get rid of that? I wondered if maybe washing the item would help? -Nan

14. April

Found you from TDC’s post and I just love your style (both your craft and writing!). Thanks for this fab idea (and the coffee filter wreath, too…can’t wait to try that!) …who’d have thought?!

15. Mom in High Heels

You made me LOL several times. I like your style. Oh, and the pillows turned out pretty well too. :)

16. Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage

Oh I really love that one with the number!! Nice job!

17. Tanya

I love, love, love them! AND, you are too funny! I love your interpretation of the french language. My kids are wondering why I am sitting at the computer dying laughing. HA!

18. Fairfield House

What beautiful pillows you’ve created! Thank you for including the tutorial.

19. Paula

Your pillows look wonderful. I am inspired to visit Graphics Fairy and try this myself.

I’m visiting from Amanda’s party!

20. Amanda @ Serenity Now

Would you believe that I haven’t hopped on the French script pillow bandwagon yet either?? I love yours! I have a Silhouette machine…got it last month. I didn’t realize that you can send projects from the software to your printer! Thanks for sharing. :) I’m hosting an “I {Heart} My Crafty Cutter” party on the 21st-25th for Silhouette/Cricut/etc. projects, tips, and tricks. This would be a great one to link up. :) Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding some new reads! :)

21. Erin @ Two Story Cottage

Awesome pillow! That is too funny about the French – who knows what all this French stuff says?? :) Visiting from Serenity Now…

22. Stacy@RedDoorHome

Both your pillow turned out fabulous – great additions to your decor. I have not tried this technique but you make it look very easy. I will have to add it to my “to try” list.

23. Alison

This is a great project. I love The Graphics Fairy but have never thought to download her graphics and use them for iron ons…duh!

Thanks so much!

Blessings,

Alison

24. Cheri

I love your pillows. Don’t forget to add the DIY Club button.

Cheri

25. Melissa K

Way to go, Ms. CSI! :)

26. Tami

I love these pillows! Thanks for sharing!
    Fondly, Tami

27. Vicki V

I love how you teach us stuff! It makes me think I might actually be able to craft something! I’m your newest follower. Keep up the good work!

28. rk

You are one amazingly creative and humorous lady!!! I do speak French but I just loved your translation of that French label :)

29. rk

Holy cow, I HAD to write a second comment here. I just read your profile and I must say you don’t look one bit like a G-ma!!!! I hope to look like you when I become one! PS: No checks expected in the mail, I really mean the compliments :)

30. Susan

Thanks for the tutorial and the chuckle to go with it!

31. Tracy

I love your pillows that you’ve made!! I’ve used the Graphic Fairy website before for woodworking projects!
    I copied them and sent them to a local print shop to have them enlarged
    so they would fit on large furniture!
    Im so hooked on stencils! LOL

But I can understand the sewing and treading the needle part!! Hits home!! So Funny!

My only problem is finding the Grain stencil you used on the pillow. When I click on the link it brings me to “Your confessions” page.

I can not find the stencil on the Graphics Fairy website!

Love the number pillow too! Plus the idea of the drop cloth! When out to Walmarts last night and spent $7 for one!!
    thanks Tracy