French Country Rooster Print

April 11, 2011 25 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

A week ago we did some updating in our kitchen.

Can you say way overdue??

I want to redo the whole thing.. baby steps. I am still trying to convince my husband

that we should paint the cabinets.. We are currently at an impasse..

But I did decide to remove the wallpaper border that was on the backsplash.

We replaced it with.. well, wallpaper.. But before you throw up,

let me mention that it was paintable bead-board wallpaper.

Better – yes?

I ordered it from Lowe’s online – $15 a roll.

It is called:

Style SelectionsĀ  Beadboard Paintable Wallpaper

So now I am trying to update the look of the kitchen.

I am keeping the red I had, and adding black & white to it.

I am envision a French Country look.

But want to try to accomplish it on a French Ghetto budget..

The first thing you usually see when you combine French Country

and Kitchens are roosters. I don’t know why, but I can tell you

they are always involved..

Here is a picture of SavvySouthernStyles’s French Country kitchen -

You can go see it here -

Savvy Southern Style Kitchen Reveal

I am currently watching for a white rooster like this- but in the meantime

I wanted something that shows a rooster in my kitchen.

I am almost embarrassed to show you this, it is about the cheapest

and simplest craft I have ever done. And it it no-where near as cute as

the above rooster! But – baby steps..ghetto baby steps..

You can see the wallpaper border in these photo’s.

Very 90′s..

Here is the backsplash with the painted beadboard on it -

Isn’t it so fresh and pretty!

Please ignore the ugly counter laminate with the seam right down the middle

Now – on to the Rooster print:

I started with this black frame for $5 from TJMaxx -

I so *heart* TJMaxx… he completes me.

Anyway – then I went to The Graphic’s Fairy website and searched for Rooster -

I found this one

And I loved it!!

I downloaded it, and imported it into my Silhouette machine.

I then added a frame around the rooster, and printed it out on cream cardstock.

So – that is pretty much the tutorial in a nutshell.

I hope you were able to keep up…

So, lets add it up here. $5 for the frame, and around 3 cents for the paper.

Get out your calculators…

And there you have it.

French Country Ghetto -

For some reason it makes me happy.

For those of you keeping track,

that happiness cost $5.03.. you can’t beat that folks..

On Friday I will show you something else I

am making for the kitchen – It is so cute!!

Photobucket

HookingupwithHoH

1. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here

Your bead board wallpaper is wonderful as a backsplash! I love Graphics Fairy and the rooster print. I have a new Silhouette that I am still trying to learn everything I can make. The frame around the print is perfect.
    xo,
    Sherry

2. Jessy

I think you forgot to add in the cost of the Silhouette ;)

3. Shannon

I love your ghetto rooster and I don’t think it’s actually ghetto at all. Definitly French Country, and I love your faux beadboard. Cute!

I love the beadboard wallpaper backsplash – great for my ghetto budget! If you don’t mind sharing, where did you find it? Thanks!

5. Kathy

no way is this ghetto, it is awesome.

6. Becki

Too funny! Our tastes run along the same theme! I bought a ceramic rooster several years ago at Home Goods near Cincinnati. I put it on top of the kitchen cupboard. My husband hated it, but it’s still there. Friends tell me I have a French Country thing – I just know I like it! Love the beadboard wallpaper!

7. Gail Marie

Love your rooster. I have a kitchen full of them. It started with one and they multiplied. Hobby Lobby has a great collection and you can get one at a very reasonable price when their ceramics are 50% off. Then just add white spray paint.

8. Cherie

Love the rooster and the beadboard wallpaper.
    Was it hard to work with?

9. Shane

The print turned out fabulous! However, I’m more in love with the beadboard paintable wallpaper. What?! Who knew?

10. Amanda M.

Ahhhh, you have the soft square mugs… big fat puffy heart them!!! You are tearing me up with all the beautiful Longaberger!

I used to sell Home Interiors before they were bought out… and in their Home and Garden line had a beautiful Rooster lamp! I’ve never been into roosters but this lamp drew.me.in. I’ll see if I can find a link anywhere.
    Here’s one that’s similar

I could do massive debt damage at TJ Maxx!

Looks great!

11. Bonnie@Creative Decorating

I love me some roosters in the kitchen! The bead board looks great! I have done a lot of changes in my kitchen and Kim’s kitchen was a lot of my inspiration. Great budget friendly picture!!

12. jan

Perhaps you could ask Mother to “will” you her little vintage ceramic roosters she keeps in her kitchen window……love the beadboard and the fresh look.

13. jan

As for painting them white??? I’m thinking I would mention that if I was you…….

14. jan

I mean WOULDN’T

15. Judy

French country Ghetto…..dang it, you are SO funny! I love the beadboard wallpaper. I’d seen it somewhere else, but never thought of it for a backsplash.

Thanks for ALWAYS making me smile.

16. Kim

That looks great. I need one of those machines. Thanks for the mention. I am sure a white rooster will show up soon.

17. Kathy @ Creaive Home Expressions

Love it! My Mom is into roosters and I know she’d love it, too! I am a true believer that it doesn’t take a lot of money to make us happy ~ simple things like your rooster print can do the job just fine. : )

18. Magpies & Magnolias

Well, honey, I must be your neighbor in that Country French Ghetto because I love me some roosters and I LOVE the changes that you made!

Yay!! I have a neighbor in Ghetto-ville!!

19. Melissa K

Psssst… I just spent spring break painting our kitchen cabinets white. And my husband loves them and keeps saying how much bigger our kitchen looks.

Want him to give your hubby a call?

I love the beadboard wallpaper. I’m going to put up vinyl beadboard planks for our backsplash, but I considered the wallpaper. It looks great. So 10′s. ;)

Melissa K Reply:

P.S. This same husband considered it sacrelige to paint cabinets up until a year or so ago. There is hope.

Melissa K Reply:

Um, that would be sacrilege. Was it sacrilegious to spell that incorrectly?

20. Taylor

I thorougly enjoy the fact that you have made TJ Maxx a man and have fallen in love with him.
    That is all.

And that is all I need….

21. Kelsie

Gorgeous Rooster…Inspired project :)