Shabby Chic Family Name Sign

April 28, 2011 29 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Yes, I have been at it again.. I just can’t seem to stay away

from that Habitat For Humanity Restore! And every time I go I

come home with a few more cabinet doors! This one came in handy as

my brother surprised the family by getting married a couple of weeks ago!

So of course, I wanted to make them one of my family signs.

The signs that I have made previously look like this -

I love the fresh look of  black and white.

If you read my blog very often you will know that about me!

But for this one, I wanted to try something a little different.

It all started with a little can of paint…

I ordered this paint a few weeks ago after reading

Miss Mustard Seeds post about it.

Mystery Paint Revealed

This is not chalkboard paint. I believe the name comes from the

soft matte finish it leaves.

One of the things that drew me to this was hearing that you

don’t have to sand or strip or prime your piece before painting it.

Shut the front door!

That sounds perfect to me!

It is very spendy, and this is the first time I have ever had to order paint

and have it mailed to me. But I am not regretting the purchase at all!

On the left is the original cabinet door I purchased for $2.00.

The center picture is after the 1st coat of paint. In retrospect I think I should have

thinned the paint a little bit, it says you may need to do that. The last picture is

after the 2nd and final coat. After it had dried I came and looked at it and found this:

I still don’t know if it is supposed to crackle or not. The back of the can said you should

not need more than one coat, and Miss Mustard Seeds project have a slightly

transparent look. So I may have done something wrong, but I decided to run with it!

Typical crafter huh! Just pretend you meant to do that!

I took a little bit of coffee brown craft paint, mixed it with some water, and applied

it with a foam paint pad as a glaze. This was the first time I have ever tried that, so I

was really winging it! You can see in the picture above I have applied the glaze, then I

took a soft cloth and dabbed it off. I let it sit in the creases for a little longer, as that is

what I thought  natural aging would look like. At the top of the picture is a

piece of fiberboard trim I bought at Home Depot to use on this piece.

I glued the piece on with some E6000.

Then painted it with the Chalk Paint.

Then I used the glaze over the top of it.

Here it is – chippy, scrappy, stained….

Shabby!

I felt reborn! I can purposefully mess something up – and call it a style!

What is not to love there!!

At this point I began to make the lettering in my Sillhouette-

Then I put the words on the sign.

I am not sure why the color difference in these pics – just ignore please!

And yes, strange name.. It is my maiden name and it is French Canadian -

After putting the name on, I took a piece of sandpaper to all the edges of

the door for a bit more shabby – ing up. Then I had my husband put some hooks on it.

And I was in love!

So what do you think?

Here is where I bought the paint if you are interested – the color I got was Old White

Classic Wall Finishes

I can’t wait to give it to my brother and new sister-in-law!

And then I am going to have to make one for my own house!

I have a couple of furniture projects that I originally bought the

chalk paint for – I will be sharing those with you soon!

Just wanted to note that I recieved a couple of comments about the missing ‘dot’

on the first i in the name Brisbois – I thought I would address it in the post for

anyone else who is wondering. This is from Judy:

Some possibilities that entered my mind:

It’s Canadian-ish. We Americans just don’t understand anything.

It’s a mistake, and you were so blown away by the awesomeness of the project you didn’t notice.

It’s a mistake, but you’re going to come up with a crafty excuse right along the lines of “I meant for the paint to crack.”

And here is my reply:

great great great great Aunt Dot who is no longer with us…”

But the truth is, I was blown away by the awesomeness of the project and didn’t notice……

Thanks for coming by –

I will be linking this post up to a few parties – go check them out!

Tidy Mom

UndertheTableandDreaming

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Get Your Craft On Tuesday

Serenity Now Crafty Cutter Party

1. joanne

love it! I’m thinking I need to hit the re-store one of these days and stock up. Going to go over and check out the paint too. and by the by your last name is lovely (maiden name)! I am also French-Canadian! Thanks for the share…j

2. Cindy

Great Idea! I may have to ‘borrow’ it soon:) BTW~found you recently and am lovin’ your blog!!

3. Melissa K

Beee-autiful! I love it.

And dude… hide your chalk paint and hide it well, because I may just come by and swipe it. I’ve been coveting, I mean, really wanting some to play with.

4. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

That turned out wonderful! I was going to say I’d love to try this paint. I’m seeing it all over blogland. No sanding or priming is right up my “I need to get it done now” alley! I know you went with an aged and shabby chic look to it, but I’m a little hesitant after the crackling you got and weren’t looking for. I love this project and I’m sure your brother and new sister-in-law are going to love it, too!

5. Wichiepoo

I was about to ask if it was a French Name… I am half French Canadian, but with an English Name lol!

I just have a question… was the dot on the first “I” forgotten on purpose?

Btw, I just love this sign, just wish I could find these doors somewhere around here! (Could you send me a couple cheap ones please???? ;) )

6. Loretta

I hope this is what Kristine is getting for her shower, I know she would love it!! Of course, you haven’t said if you’re coming or not? Hope so, it will be a blast!!!
    Love ya lots

7. Judy

OK, that is just gorgeous. I’m also curious, though, as to why the first “i” doesn’t have a dot. Some possibilities that entered my mind:

It’s Canadian-ish. We Americans just don’t understand anything.

Um, I’m blank after that! Seriously, the piece is beautiful…I really love the addition of the raised design and the aging. Bravo!

I am oh so tempted to come up with an inventive excuse for deliberately leaving off that dot. “Its the French Canadian spelling of our name” or, “Our family does that just to remember great great great great Aunt Dot who is no longer with us…”

8. Amanda @ Every Creative Endeavor

Oh my goodness – I love this idea! I have the perfect spot in my house for it as well! I am featuring your tomorrow on my blog! Have a great weekend!

9. Randi

That looks fantastic! I also have to buy cabinet doors every time I’m at ReStore. I love them. Your board is beautiful … love the distressed look. I’ve been wanting to try that paint and liked reading about your experience with it.

I didn’t notice the missing dot at all but loved your response. :)

10. Funky Junk Interiors

Very cool project! And I love the fact that you showed off the failure. I think it’s important to see something fail and realize nothing is 100% fool proof.

Just think. The dotless i causes all kinds of conversation. :)

Donna

11. Joanne

Great idea and you make it look so doable. I am going to steal it and make one for an anniversary gift.

12. Molly

I adore this project, it turned out so cute! Your brother and sister-in-law should feel very lucky to receive such an awesome gift! Thank you for sharing!

13. Chrissy

I love this and I can’t wait to attempt to make this. One question comes to mind- how did you do the lettering and make it look so nice? Is it stenciled or something else

Thanks so much!

14. kimbosue

So cute. I am goign to have to go by that Habitat store soon….you have me inspired to buy lots of cabinet doors!

15. amy cornwell

This is awesome. I love it. You are so creative and inventive and I can’t wait to go find some cabinet doors! THANK YOU!!

16. Ginger

This is gorgeous! I have featured you this week on my linky laundry list post. You can see it here – http://literallyinspired.blogspot.com/2011/05/linky-laundry-list-1.html

17. Yolanda

It looks great!

18. Stephanie Lynn

Sharyl – this is such a wonderful gift idea. The chalk paint has a gorgeous finish. I love the distressing too! Beautiful job! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this {sunday}. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn

19. Amanda @ Serenity Now

What a lovely piece! I laughed because I too was thinking, am I just a dumb American who doesn’t know about special Canadian punctuation? Made me smile. :) You did a great job!

Thank you so much for joining my Crafty Cutter party. :)

20. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime

Hi, friend! I’m admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

21. Carla @ http://alittleloveaffair.blogspot.com/

Love this!!! I have GOT to get one of those machines!!!

22. Maureen

I love it! You said the letters were from your silhouette…are they vinyl?
    Love love love it!

23. Katie

OK – so how in the world do you get your letters so nice? I love this project (as well as all your other ones that I have seen) and have been looking for something like this to do!

Thanks for the idea!!

24. Carin Anema

Just love this! My question is how do you do the printing? thanks!

25. Rebecca

I’m a Brisbois too. Wonder if we are related?

26. Cyndi

Absolutely love this! How do you transfer the name?

27. Cyndi

Just love this! Can you please share ‘how’ you transfer the lettering onto the board?

28. anna

ma che bello..scusa ma non ho capito come fai a riportare
    l’immagini sul legno…