Drop Cloth Pictures

It all started, as much inspiration does, with a picture.

I had purchased 4 frames to use in an arrangement on my bedroom wall.

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to put in them, until I saw this picture in my

“100 decorating ideas under $100” magazine.

I loved these pictures.

They used burlap in the back, and pressed leaves under the glass.

I adapted the concept for mine, using painters drop cloth fabric

and printing black and white graphics right onto the cloth.

I started with some $5 frames from Walmart.

The price was perfect, but the color wasn’t. I wanted something light for summer,

something that complimented my new “Ocean inspired bed makeover

So I pulled out the Krylon spray paint-love me some spray paint!

I also got some white mats to go with my newly painted white frames.

I got the mats at Michaels, I think they were under $2 each.

Before we continue the tutorial, can we just take a moment to note the ugly seam in my countertop?

Do we all agree I have just cause to want to replace them? It has been like that for 16 years….

Ok – moving on..

I decided I would use the painters drop cloth fabric I had left over from my bedroom curtains

as the backing in the pictures. All I did for the curtains was cut the fabric to length, fold top section,

and use clip rings to attach the fabric to the rod. Super easy Diy curtains!

I still have tons of this painters cloth –  I love this stuff!

Here is a tutorial on some pillows I made out of it too-

French Graphic Pillow

I cut the cloth to fit the cardstock, then used spray adhesive to apply it.

I took care to smooth out any wrinkles when I placed the fabric on the paper.

I considered ironing it for about 3 seconds, then I laughed and poured myself a coke…

I put the paper fabric side down into my printer and printed out the image.

Note: My printer prints on the bottom side of the paper as it goes into the tray,

yours may be different! Find out before you run the fabric/paper through.

I downloaded the images from The Graphic Fairy

A couple of them came black and white, but there were two I had to import into

my iPhoto program and change to black and white. I also had to adjust the

sizes of the graphics to fit the 8 x 10 paper.

I love the way they turned out!

This would be really pretty done in color too – I have just been on such a neutral kick lately..

Now all I had to do was put them all together –

Of course it was more difficult than it needed to be, I found out why the Walmart frames

were so cheap. They weren’t a standard size. So when I bought the mats that should have

fit them, they were too big. So I had to cut down each of the mats. Of course it is usually

worth it to me to save a buck or two! I am such a cheapskate!

Love Love Love!!!!

They were just what I wanted! And I love the way they look in the room.

These pictures don’t do them justice because it was kind of dark and cloudy when I took them.

I guess they ended up costing right around $7 each –

I am sure they could be done for less though, I know they often have frames at the Dollar Tree.

But I don’t feel too bad about spending under $30 for decorating a wall………..

Ok – it would be cool if I could have done it for $15 or less….free would have been even cooler..

Dang it, why can’t I ever be cool??

Speaking of cool – Thrifty Decor Chick did something similar on her walls for free!

Thrifty Decor Chick-Absolutely Free And Beautiful Art

She has a link to the New York Library where you can download free pictures.

Sigh… she is uber cool..

Well, did you enjoy my new project as much as I did? Cause I am loving it!

Thanks for coming by – you readers always make my day- hope I make yours better too!

I am linking up with some parties – go check them out!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

The Shabby Nest

Todays Creative Blog

DIY Club

1. The Lumberjack's Wife

I love it! Very creative, as usual. I love how all your ideas are so affordable. :)

2. Angela@Welcome Home

Those are beautiful! Great job!

3. Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick

Girl, they look fabulous!!! Thanks for the link my friend. :)

4. joanne

ohhhhh, very pretty. I think I could do that…well, sorta!

You can do it!

These are really nice!! Love the black/white and the texture. I haven’t tried printing on Fabric…but you make it sound easy.
    Also the LInk to Thrifty Decor chick. Looking forward to finding some prints for my extra frames!

6. JD

Love this project!! Thank you for the inspiration. And by the way, taking the time to share your talents with us makes you uber-cool in my book!

7. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

I think they turned out great, Sharyl! You know you’d pay over $100.00 from Ballard Designs for a set like this. I think you did great price wise. Love it in the black and white print with the white frames and mats.

8. Lynn

They are very nice. I love the print on the fabric, looks great.

9. Becki

Your pictures are fabulous! What an inexpensive yet beautiful set of framed art you designed for your bedroom. Great job!

10. Tara

What an awesome idea! Definately going to make some of these after I get done with my gray painting in my living room/hallway/entry way (I’m on a neutral kick too and going with shades of gray everywhere haha!) I think they would match perfect! My only question is where did you get painters drop cloth? I’ve never seen it anywhere but since I’ve never been looking for it I’ve probably just never noticed it.

Thank you! I found it in the paint section of a local hardware store – I know Home Depot carries it. It comes pre-cut and folded up in a package, not on a bolt. Good luck! And I have been looking at shades of gray lately too! Love how people are putting it with orange and turquoise!

11. April @ Chronicles of a Compulsive Decorator

These look great!!

12. Jill @ Craft in a Northern Town

Great idea! They turned out super cute! I too have a love hate relationship with WalMart frames. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Kate

Love love love this idea!!! Can’t wait to try it out myself. Did you use an ink-jet or laser printer for these?

Ink Jet

14. Lynne

I absolutely LOVE these! You could sell them for big bucks! I want to try and make some, but I’m kind of a dummy when it comes to knowing how to download things!

15. Paula

I’m still amazed at your idea to glue the fabric onto cardstock and run it through your printer. I would never in a million years thought to do that.
    I think it’s just beautiful, and looks way more expensive than $30.00!!

16. Gloria

These are just beautiful. I’ve seen others print on fabric and have been scared to do it. I think I’m going to try it. Thanks for the tutorial!

17. Melissa

Wow!!! Love these! I just made a shower curtain out of a drop cloth. I love how it turned out so I can’t wait to work with more of it. Your pictures turned out beautifully.

Visiting from the Shabby Chic Cottage Link Party.

18. Cathy

What an excellent idea! I may be trying this myself.

19. Stephanie (@junkernewbie)

Love this! I’ve never run fabric through my printer like that. Should that work with most printers?

Thanks for sharing this!

Stephanie

20. Pam @ diy Design Fanatic

These are fabulous! I need to make a pillow using this method and I think you’ve inspired me! Stopping over from The Shabby Nest.

21. Kylie@Stylish Settings

I really like these. I’ve read a couple of tutorials about printing directly onto fabric but I haven’t tried it yet. If you use the fabric for pillows, can you wash it or do you have to set the ink first?
    Well done – really pretty
    Kylie

That is a good question – I would think you couldn’t wash them without applying some kind of waterproof coating to them? Any one else know the answer to this?

22. Velma

I love your pictures! I have never used painter’s drop cloth, so I’m gonna have to check this stuff out!
    Oh, and by the way, your pictures are just as cool as the ones done by Thrifty Decor Chick…I read her blog about her free diy project…so I know! 😀

23. Deborah

Positively INSPIRED!!!

24. Cindy Adkins

WOW–these are amazing and so are your curtains!!!
    XO
    CIndy

25. cyndi

WoW Sharly! Those look really great! You did a fabulous job!!

26. Claire Rose

Love the pics-nice thinking with that Graphic Fairy idea! I’m a follower!!

27. Claire Rose

Love this idea-the graphic fairy-the prints look beautiful!

28. Erin

I ADORE these!! I’m scared to run fabric through the printer…but these pictures look so awesome I might have to try it. :)

29. alsmouse

I love these. Such a clean looking effect. I want to do these for our River House guest room. Thank you for the inspiration.
    alsmouse ~C8>

30. Shelly

I love this idea!!! It has so man y possibilities! Thanks!

31. Pam

They look GREAT! Thanks for the tutorial. I love The Graphics Fairy and using drop cloths. It looks like something I may have to try. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Have a great week!
    Pam

32. Kate

Love, Love, Love!

33. marlis

I came by from BNOTP and am so glad I did.. I love love your photos. What a great idea. Something I will have to “borrow”.. thanks for sharing with us.. xo marlis

34. Jacki

Love it. Seriously.

35. Lauren

These are awesome! I never knew you could print right onto dropcloth. Just finished a project and have some leftover, so I’m going to add this to my inspiration files! Thanks!

36. Miss Char

Love this look, and its always great to find something new to create from drop clothes. Your pictures look fabulous and I can’t wait to get started on this for my living room. Thanks so much for sharing, I’m sure there will lots of bloggers following your tutorial to make their own pictures.

37. Maggie

wow luv luv how sophisticate this is…
    I’m inviting you to join our linking party every Wednesday
    Have a fabulous week,
    Maggie

38. Jen @ Noting Grace

Oh. My. Word!! Can I say GORGEOUS!! I have to try this. It turned out incredible. And I love the Graphics Fairy!! Stellar. Simply Stellar.

39. Deb- What in the Craft

Love, love, love this! Brilliant! Can’t wait to try it out! Also thanks for coming over and visiting my blog! Great to meet you!

40. Maddie

LOVE THEM!!!!!… you are right next to me in line over at GF so I wanted to pop over and say hi!!!

Maddie, of the Toothbrush holder.

41. Kathleen Sigg

What a great tutorial and blog! Love your sense of humor. I wouldn’t have noticed the counter top if you hadn’t mentioned it, but it’s certainly something that would have bugged me as well. I agree, you should have a new one. Thanks and I’ll be back!

42. Laura Ingalls Gunn

I am visiting via Today’s Creative Blog.

This is a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing.

Happy Tuesday!

43. Christine

These are really cool! I love how you put them right through the printer…..BTW, don’t bother with dollar store frames if you are hanging them on the wall. They’re hard to hang up, two of mine fell off the wall the same night, I was cleaning up broken glass at one in the morning. Not worth the couple of bucks I saved…..

44. June Scott

I think you are uber cool, too, Sharyl! These turned out totally amazing!!! Love, love, love! Thanks for sharing your technique!

45. cheryl

dropping over from A2Z.
    love love love these.
    must try them.
    thanks so much for sharing.
    off to check out more of your blog!!
    cheryl xox.

46. Angela (Cottage Magpie)

This. Is. Brilliant. I am in love! Too bad it’s after midnight or I’d have to do be some shopping! :-)

~Angela~

P.S. I know it’s been, oh, 4,027 YEARS but I am still going to finish your virtual makeover. I promise.

47. Joan

I love this idea!!!!!!!!!!! So talented!!!!

48. BornInaZoo

Here’s a hint if cardstock + fabric is too think to fit through your printer: iron freezer paper to the fabric & trim it to size.

49. Mary Anne

Lovely, lovely, lovely, and brilliant too! The possibilities, oh my! My I ask what kind of spray adhesive did you use, and did you wash the fabric first? Thanks a mill!

50. Vicki V

These are just beautiful! I wonder if I could swing making something similar?? I would be a little concerned about jamming up my printer. Is there another option, like transfer paper and an iron?

51. Catherine

These are gorgeous!! What a great, great idea. I have a giant blank wall in my bedroom, and I think these may be just the thing to go there. Thanks for sharing.

52. Mollydiane

What a clever idea!! I love your thriftiness! Thanks for sharing about the drop clothes; my Dad was a carpenter and had a gazillion of assorted age and wear. (wish I had them today!)

The photo collection came out “uber cute”. Great job!

53. Bella's Rose Cottage

These are beautiful!! I just bought a drop cloth for a tablecloth, and this is perfect fopr the leftovers!! Thanks for the fun share!! I saw your title on the Blogher list and had to peak, so glad I did!
    Bella

54. Valerie

Love this idea! What size frames did you use?
    Thx again for the inspiration!

55. Christine

I saw these at The Graphics Fairy…they are absolutely wonderful! I am a huge fan of printing on fabric too…

56. Tess Murphy

Cute cute! I totally love this idea, and am thinking of several things to print on drop cloths! Thanks for ideas!

57. Morgan

I saw this today and was so excited I bought my card stock and some lightweight canvas.

Oh my … super easy and so pretty. Thank you!!!

Yay! Hope you love your as much as I love mine!

58. Amybug

Seriously brilliant. I’m going to be adhering all kinds of stuff to cardstock to print on LOL, you have a new follower =0)

59. Mindy

Ahhh, I LOVE these!!!! I made a curtain for my patio like your bedroom one. That canvas is amazing. I’m pinning these pics for future reference. I think they are so awesome – love the botanicals you picked too!!!

60. Madigan at madiganmade

Great tutorial for printing on fabric! And I loove botanicals. These look fabulous!

61. Edwige

Lovely! Good Idea!
    Très beau résultat! Merci de nous faire partager vos idées. Bonne journée créative! Edwige

62. Ann Marie | white house, black shutters

Girl, those are amazing! I never would have thought you could do that… love the look and the prints you chose. Putting this on my pinterest right now!!

And you TOTALLY deserve new countertops.

63. gina

Ooooo, I like them. A lot. I too worry about jamming my printer; I may have to try it anyway!

64. Holly L

Beautiful! I have just started to experiment printing directly on the fabric – so much fun…This is just gorgeous!

65. Roeshel

So pretty! I love the printed designs you chose on the texture of the drop cloth. Beautiful easy DIY wall art! Great job!

66. rk

My first time at your site and you are so creative! I came via graphics fairy’s brag Monday link. I absolutely love your prints and thank you so much for the detailed steps! I can’t wait to try these (after the zillion other projects that I have bookmarked already!). Your sense of humor is wonderful :) I will be a regular here from now on!

67. cassie

that is such a cool idea. love the look you achieved!

68. Alyssa

love this idea! now if only i could find drop cloth photos!!

also a quick question, i’m doing a similar project but i’m just putting regular photos. and i’m planning on spray painting my frames (got the exact same ones from walmart!) but i’m having difficulty removing the backing from them how did you do yours?

69. Lynda

These are so gorgeous! In my opinion they look even better than the inspiration photo! Great idea, thank you so much for sharing :)

70. Susan @ My Place to Yours

I just stumbled upon your blog and found this great project! Is your printer a laser or ink jet? My creative juices are flowing… :-)

71. Suzanne Callahan

I love your project. Thank you for sharing. I am just beginning to get my creativity flowing and I am just dying to try transferring images onto cloth for pillows, etc. and I appreciate all of the useful information I have discovered via Pinterest. Your pictures turned out beautiful.

72. Katie

Too bad I can’t see anything (incuding this comment box) bc the misplaced ads cover everything.

73. Sue

I just found you blog site looking for a craft idea for my April Secret Sister gift. I’ve tried both of the links provided to get the pictures of the clover and peony (I’m guessing on this one) but have not been able to find the two pictures. I would like to add with a daisy and a carnation for the complete project. Any hints or suggestions? And I love the scroll work above the pictures. That just sets it off! .

74. Chris

Good grief….you are soooo funny! I laughed through the entire blog about your printed pictures. I loved the outcome as well, so your creative talents are as exceptional as your comedic talents.

75. Sheila Gatlin

Hi I love your drop cloth pictures. Do you ever sell them? Please let me know. thank you

76. Adele McKeon

I love these-I’m going to try printing some vintage Holiday postcards on the dropcloth I have, seems like I just need cardstock and the ticky tacky stuff to make it happen.

One Trackback