Vintage Window Makeover

I have been trying to decide what to do with that old window I picked up at the Flea Market last month.

You know, the one my husband laughed at me for buying?

I had been thinking about putting pictures behind it, and Melissa from A Time For Everything

told me that she had put fabric behind some of her old windows, which I thought was a fab idea.

But somehow, once again, I found myself at Michaels in the paper aisle.

I have quite a fixation with  paper for someone who doesn’t scrapbook….

I knew I wanted something with browns and a touch of blue, that was someone aged looking.

This map paper was perfect – and the fact that it was on sale for 25 cents a piece was just a bonus!

I had paid $18 for the window, which was a little bit more than I would have liked.

So I was hoping that finishing it was going to be inexpensive.

I had to do a couple of small adjustments on the window frame to make it work well with the paper.

The window came with green, white, and brown paint on the trim. it was chippy and old, and

I loved it. But when I put it in my living room, the green color did not look right.

And you all know how much I love my neutrals…

I painted over the green with some chalk paint – I used my Old White mixed with some Duck Egg Blue.

Then I went over the whole frame with a brown glaze. The results were a much better fit for my decor.

And for the map paper.

Then I used my uber impressive crafting tools and skills to add the paper to the back of the window.

As you can see, my tools consisted of a pair of kitchen shears, and a roll of off-brand clear tape.

I will remind you once again that I am a lazy crafter..

The red that you see is the back side of the map paper. Here I have it laid out on the back of the frame.

I started out trying to put the map pages together in a way that made sense, matching

up the lines. I eventually threw that idea out the window…… (get it? dang I’m funny..)

I ended up randomizing the pages somewhat, then turning them over and taping them together.

I am sooo happy with the way it turned out!!

I had to get quite creative with my photography skills to get shots of this without to much

reflection from the real windows in the room!

Well, what do you think? Are you in love with it as much as I am??

What is that? You are wondering where I got that cute mini wreath I have hanging on it?

I made it! You know how I love my coffee filters! Here is a link to the tutorial.

Mini Coffee Filter Wreath

Thank you so much for coming by! And you know I always love to hear what you think:)

UndertheTableandDreaming

Home Stories A2Z

Visit thecsiproject.com

1. ingrid

oh i LOVE it! so cute! i have been wanting an old window like that for a while now too. i love what you did with it :) fabulous!

2. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

I DO love it, Sharyl! I’m not an actual scrapbooker either, but I love the papers, too. I”m the same with fabric. I do other projects with the papers; kind of like you did here. I think this turned out sooooo good and I love your coffee filter wreath. I will be waiting for that tutorial because it looks like a size I can handle. Plus, now that I’m home {not working since we moved} I think I can manage to find the time to put it together!

It’s amazing…and makes me wish I hadn’t gotten rid of my two old windows at the last garage sale!! : ) Looks really cool Sharyl!!

4. Christy@ Life, Made Interesting

Adorable! I have an old window in my garage, itching for something to be done…. you have my mind buzzing now…..

5. gina

I love it. I am not really into the map craze…I don’t quite get it. Although, I did save an old globe of mine from being thrown out ’cause I liked the way it looked on a side table! Yours looks great, though. Love the wreath, and can’t wait for you to teach me how to make one! Are you still in Nashville? Hope you’re having a grand time!

6. Melissa Kaiserman

Love it! The map paper was a great choice, and the coffee filter wreath is the perfect complement. Beautiful!

7. Amanda

I love it! I am going to be on the look out for an old window now! I thought I was the only one who buys and uses tons of scrapbook paper but doesn’t scrabook, it’s nice to know I’m not alone! :)

8. laurie

What a darling idea, Sharyl! LOVE the old maps! :)

9. Bonnie

Love those coffee filter wreaths. Looks like you tea or coffee dyed yours. I have been dying (no pun intended) to make one. It’s perfect with the window. I have a whole stable full of old windows (the previous home owners and our own remodel). This is a great idea.

10. Julianne

I love it!!
    I too have been wanting an old window for years…..I finally found one a month ago at a yard sale for $1. It came with floral fabric glued onto the glass….I am going to have to change that out as I had visions of a poster of a beach scene.
    I have it hung over my laundry sink to add dimension and the illusion of a window in a window-less room. It does the trick!
    I also can’t wait for your tutorial. :-)

11. Elaine

That is super! I have a couple of old windows trying to think of ideas for them………this is it! Thanks so much!

12. Lynne

Gosh that turned out cute! I love your choice of paper and then the coffee filter wreath is like the cherry on top! Great idea!

13. Anne

Simple gorgeous – I love maps!!

14. Stephanie Stimson

Too cute!!!!!!!!!

15. kathy t

Sharyl, I love the smaller coffee filter wreath on the window -also make sure you let us know where we can pick up the flower:-)
    Love your photography in this post !

Welcome back! I hope your trip was great.

The new craft project is definitely a hit! I love old maps. We have an old globe and several old atlases. I have no idea what we will be doing with them, but right now they’re just neat conversation pieces in the library (yes, I’m snooty and have a library in my home…hehe). I love your “lazy” crafting as it makes me think I could maybe do it, too. However, right now I’m even lazier than you and don’t craft at all. Maybe one day….

17. Linda

Hi
    Love the window and the maps look really great! I too love paper but don’t do a bit of scrapbooking. I sort of collect the paper, take it out and drool over it. I so enjoy your blog. Thank you!

18. Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage

I love it…..perfect…what a great idea for a beautiful old window. Can’t wait for the wreath instructions…..I think I am finally going to have to make me one……

19. Caty

The window looks fantastic! I just love what you do with things. :)

20. Judy

Definitely one of your finest moments. Fabulous!!!

21. Diane

Absolutely love your window! So chic. And I can’t wait for your coffee filter wreath tutorial.
    Diane
    MA

22. Angela (Cottage Magpie)

Okay, I admit, I gasped out loud when you said you painted over that gorgeous vintage paint.

BUT

Then I scrolled down to see the results… GORGEOUS!

I love it. Love, love, love it. I have a vintage window here that I have been really wanting to do something creative with (I actually have three matching ones), and I am really feeling like I need to do this project now!

PInning!

~Angela~

23. Joy P

Just found you through BlogHer on Brenda’s Cozy Little House. I am going to follow. Love the map/picture frame.
    -Joy

24. Maya @ Completely Coastal

I’m loving this! The map you chose looks so great. I have an old window in the basement!!! I’ll definitely show this on my blog!

25. Kathy

Hi, Yes, I love it as much as you do. Great project. I’ve done windows with old quilts, grapevine wreaths, flowers and various other items but never paper.

26. Linda @ it all started with paint

Congrats on your feature at Under the Table & Dreaming!

I’ve been following your blog for awhile now — posting as a guest in the past (I too am an apple and also could be a G-Ma today but didn’t marry until I was 30 and had my first child just before my 35 b-day).

I hope this doesn’t sound like a blatant plug, but I just started blogging one week ago and would love to hear your feeback on my blog — and any advice on what I should or shouldn’t be doing. (You may spot a Longaberger basket in my post today. My older sister was a rep).

I guess I’m just looking for a mentor and I find your style and “voice” very comforting and appealing (I hope that doesn’t sound creepy).

Also, do you have a button I can put on my blog?

Thanks,

Linda

Linda @ it all started with paint Reply:

… and I forgot to mention that I totally get your humor …

27. Holly

I love old window makeovers and yours is tops!
    Holly

28. Sarah

Wow this is so pretty! I’ve been hoping to do a window project soon. Just gotta find a good one. Yours turned out so pretty!

29. Krista@TheGatheringPlaceDesign

Wow…love this idea! Great job:)

30. Julie Anne

visiting from CSI… LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! :) Scrapbook paper is so awesome, for so many things!!

31. shar

just found your site and LOVE IT love the humor

32. Lorrie

Love your window! You did a fantastic job! I love old windows and old maps, it’s a win, win! I’m now following…

33. Korrie@RedHenHome

Pinning this! Love it.

34. gina

not sure how i even got here but I LOVE YOUR WINDOW!!!!

35. Tammy

Great Idea! Love the map idea! I too thought about pictures, but this is a much better idea!

36. Tammy

Hi! I just wanted to pass along an award to your blog! It is called the Liebster Blog Award and is given to up and coming bloggers. I saw your site and I love your creations! come check out my blog for all the details of the award so you can pass it on too!
    Thanks!

Tammy
    Onemoretimeevents.blogspot.com

37. Priyam

i loved this! i have a sort of a window frame like this painted black for over 4 years and never knew what to do with it, and now i do! Thanks!!

38. Barbara

Thanks for the recipe for the chalk paint, I’m going to try it on a few different surfaces, Barbara

39. actress wallpaper. katrina kaif wallpaper

That’s why Bollywood actors are treated like ‘big stars’
    in this country. Kathy Bates gives a really well
    done performance and won both the Academy Award for Best Actress and a Golden Globe.
    The Fresh, invigorating, relaxed and prompted Polo Blue is the easiest cologne for executing from your
    work place for an mid-day cup of coffee bean or perhaps the latest Xmas wedding wedding.

One Trackback

1. By Musical Monday: Travelin’ Man « To-do List on November 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm

[…] *image via The Little Brown House […]