Photo Garland Tutorial

December 12, 2011 16 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Those of you who saw my Christmas Mantel post noticed the photo garland

I made for my mantel. As promised, here is the very easy tutorial showing how to make your own!

I think they would make adorable tree ornaments too!

I got the idea from a beautiful blog named Dear Lillie  – she made a photo garland

to hang in a window. I was immediately drawn to it, and knew I wanted to make my own!

You will need some decorative photo corners, I got mine at Michaels.

Also some cardstock, close-pins, spray adhesive, and  4×3 photo’s.

I chose some close up pictures I had taken of each of my 6 grandchildren.

I sized them down to 4×3 and faded them a little bit in Picnik

which is a free online photo editing program that I highly recommend!

Then I took a cream colored piece of cardstock, and folded into even quarters.

I drew lines to mark where to cut, as I am genetically unable to cut a straight line..

Cut the paper along the lines into 4 quarters.

Next comes the part that put the fear into my husbands heart..

Me with scissors is bad enough, but me playing with fire?

Forget about it…

Hubby came running upstairs saying “is something burning???”

I had to confess to him that I assumed paper would stop burning if I blew it out..

Not so much..

I learned to put it in a folded towel to extinguish the fire.

So, I used a candle to burn the edges of all sides of the card-stock squares.

There was no pattern to the way they were shaped, each one came out different.

Next I put the adhesive backed photo corners on the pictures I had printed.

Side note – I printed these pictures on a lower print setting, which is why there are lines

through the photo’s. I decided to just keep them that way, as it kind of fit with the antiqued look.

I also just used the adhesive of the corners to hold the photo’s on the paper, I ended

up not using the spray adhesive. But for a better adherence you could certainly add that.

So – I repeated this process six times, then strung a piece of twine across the

mantel and clipped the pictures up with close-pins. And loved the results!!

It just makes me smile when I look at them! I will be reluctant to take them

down when Christmas is over, I think I will just have to find a new place for them!

So that is it! My very simple diy photo garland.

You could use any kind of pictures on it – wedding photo’s, houses you have lived in, pictures of friends-

Baby’s first year – You could even use pictures of  your pets!

I know there must be some empty nesters out there that spoil their doggie as much as we do!!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Merry Christmas!

I will be linking up with Kate’s holiday crafts party, Today’s Creative Blog, and Home Stories Tips and Tutorials…

Go check them out!

Todays Creative Blog

Home Stories A2Z

The Shabby Nest

1. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

Great job, Sharyl! I can’t cut a straight line either, but I found I have decorative cutting scissors that I have kept from when my kids were younger. I’d probably play with them {not run; just play with. I don’t run with scissors!}. I may have to try this even if I just do it as an ornament. It would be fun to see how my granddaughter has changed from year to year. Last year I did a photo ornament of her using an old CD as the base covered with scrapbook paper.

2. Courtney {a thoughtful place}

I adore this. My wheels are turning. Might make one for my mom to hang up in their home. It’s really just so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

3. Laura Ingalls Gunn

Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

Be Merry and Bright!

4. Megan Brooke

I saw the photo garland from Dear Lillie as well. Such a cute idea! I love how you added the burnt edges to yours. Great antique look!

5. Lisa~The SweetTalk Shop

Sheryl, that is something special to add to any decorating. I love it for a party as the child grows.

6. Shirley L

Oh I love this garland! And I don’t see any reason why you need to take it down after the holiday :)

7. designfluff

This is a darling idea:) I’ll have to try it out some time.

8. Megan

What a sweet idea. I love how it turned out!

9. Sundi@Life of a Cheap Chickadee

This is such a sweet idea! I just pinned it :)

10. sherika

That is a wonderful idea!! So sweet and personal! Awesome job! I would love if you came by Thursday and linked up at Passionatelyperfect.com!! Your newest fan!!

11. Devi

I love it! I think you are starting with a blank canvas here….you can always add color later. But, I love the neutral colors…so calming…such a great place to start your new journey. The sky is the limit from here. Keep it, change it, tweek it, flow with your life! Love the idea!!!! Thanks.

12. Stephanie Stimson

So glad you didn’t burn your Little Brown House down. :) Saw that on Dear Lillie as well and now you’ve made one, so I guess I should try making one myself. :) Great job….love the mantel!

13. Kathy :)

Love it….easy DIY just the way I like em…lol Thanks for sharing !!

Merry Christmas,
    Kathy :)

14. Marilyn

I just came over from Facebook to see your garland. So cute! And I was thinking that you could modge podge some scrapbook paper to those clothes pins, too. (But that might detract from the photos.) I’ll bet it’s fun to look at their pictures from last year and compare them to this year. Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas!

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] Holiday Photo Garland Photo Courtesy The Little Brown House.us [...]

2. [...] your life this Christmas(and even throughout the year). Click here for step-by-step instructions.Check out another photo garland project by The Little Brown House 2. Red, Green & White Felt Bunting Image Source Celebrate the holidays with this quaint [...]