Entryway And Table Redo

February 6, 2012 13 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

I was very busy this weekend!

You may remember last weekend I snagged this gorgeous mirror from a store named ‘Junk’

While trying to decide where to put this, I came upon the idea of changing

up my entryway. Then I remembered this little table-

I have been wanting to paint this for several months.

I felt like it was a perfect candidate for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

And for those of you wondering,

it did not belong to my mom so it

is not on the ‘do not paint’ list!

It is a cool old desk/table that we have had for over 20 years.

This drawer slides out as a desk, and when you lift the lid it has

a place to store books and an ink well.

I decided I didn’t want to paint the entire piece, I have always loved that

French Country look of a wood finish top with a painted bottom.

I only used one coat of the chalk paint – and I loved the way it turned out.

But before I show you – here is a reminder of the way my entryway has

looked for the past year – complete with the old headboard I made into a console.

Headboard To Console

I must admit I love the black and white theme, but I have grown tired of it.

I was pretty tired of that rug/carpet on the floor too…

And the paint color on that wall.

So……. I decided to paint that wall a darker color,

pull up that carpet/rug thingy, and get something new.

All because of a mirror..

My husband was simply thrilled….

You know, in that

“I hate it when you get an idea

and try and drag me in to it when all I want to do is

lay around the house and play on the computer all day”

So I painted the wall (although it is hard to tell in the pictures)

and bought a new rug/runner for the floor,

and set up the table and the mirror.

I decided not to press my luck and try to get him to

hang the mirror – that will come next weekend.

So – for the pictures it is just sitting on the table.

And I have lots of pictures..;-)

As you can see – it reflects my Sunburst Mirror that is on the wall at the end of the hall.

And the color tones all look so good together, it makes it feel more unified

than it did before. And by the way, that shadow on the floor is my dog.

He always has to find a way to jump in when I am taking pictures!

Here is the other end of the hallway –

If you want to see how I made the Sunburst Mirror go to this link.

Sunburst Mirror

I love having the top of the table the wood finish.

It goes really well with the wood floor, and it helps break up the white

but still keep the colors in the neutral range.

I am so happy with the look – and of course I love changing things

up occasionally too, so I am doubly happy!

My husband…not so much..

Home Stories A2Z

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

1. Patricia

That table turned out so well. I have a similar one without the bottom shelf. Maybe I can try that technique of yours.

2. Ada

I double love the table like that. I would have never thought of doing that. Genius idea.

Great job!!!

Love that look!! Very Nice!! You did it again!!

4. shar

entry looks very calm and peaceful great job!!!!!!!!!!

5. Linda

Totally fantastic! I love the wood top with the rest painted. Hope that Hubby will take a look and say, “I’d better hang that mirror.” Then, I suspect you will be looking for other items to put on the tabletop, yes? A woman’s work is never done!

Great job!

6. Steph Stimson

Love it! Great job!

7. Diane@LongabergerLifestyle

Perfect!!! You’re right this is just what you needed. Everything flows so well now. Plus I love your sunburst at the opposite end of the hallway. Everything looks so fresh. Ready for spring.

P.S. The ‘share’ button that floats on the side really slows down my being able to get to the bottom to comment. Just thought you’d like to know.

8. Lisa

It looks gorgeous! Simple, neutral, and so pretty! Great job! You had me giggling with the roping your hubby in bit! That’s is JUST how it is around here!!

Have a great day!

9. Lynne

I love the new look in your entry! It looks fantastic! I had to laugh about what you said about your husband. I’ll tell my husband I have an idea, or that I was thinking about doing something and his standard response is “I wish you didn’t think so much!” lol. I can’t seem to stop thinking of ways to improve the way we use our home. I recently turned our living room into our dining room and our old dining room in to a reading room/ small library. It works so much better for us. Keep coming with your make overs!

10. Leslie @ Orphaned Decor

I love your make over. It is gorgeous. I am so glad that you loved the mirror that we brought to the Junk show. I would love to meet you at the next show or come and visit our store in Spokane.

11. Tami Willmann

I am so in love with your stuff! You rock my world! :) I found you tonight when Leslie from Orphaned Decor posted the pics of your gorgeous new hall table. I love what you did with this very delightful table! I think what I love the MOST is that you left the top surfaces wooden, so you were able to create this fabulous ‘new’ piece of furniture while at the same time giving it the flavor and warmth of an old, beloved piece. It’s too perfect!!

12. Audrey Zumwalt

So glad you left the top unpainted. That oak grain is beautiful. Looks so great in your entry. Amazing what a little paint will do.
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures.

13. Robin

how high on the walls does your bead board go in your hallway?