A Brown Kitchen Wall?

February 19, 2012 12 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Have you every wondered where the name “The Little Brown House”

came from? Well, I named my blog that because for the past few years I have had

an obsession with the color brown. I had the outside of the house painted brown

with black shutters and white trim. I love that combination.

And almost every room on the top floor of my house is painted brown,

except for the living room, which is yellow.. and that is subject to change-

These are the two colors of brown I have everywhere.

I am very particular about my browns – there are so many different tones.

When I went to take pictures of these paint swatches, I found that they blended

in just about anywhere I put them. Oh well, at least I am consistant!

You may remember I redid our entryway a couple of weeks ago.

Entryway Redo

I still had quite a bit of the paint left over from that project, and I had a wall

in the kitchen that had a flowered wallpaper border on it…

It was way overdue for a makeover.

Go ahead and say it….

Stuck in the 90′s..

You know how you just get used to something when you are right in

the middle of it and the next thing you know a decade has passed?

Whooo Hooo!

Take that 90′s!

Yep, I attacked that baby with a Pampered Chef spatula and took it down.

Because I am a tool diva.

Now – let the brown paint magic begin.

Invariably, at this point in a paint project I worry I have made a huge mistake.

This looked way to dark to me and I began to panic.

I don’t know why I never think of the fact that paint is, in fact, cheap.

And it would be fairly easy to paint this wall a different color if I decided I was not happy.

I decided to be courageous – since that is my word of the year – and just go with the dark.

And of course, when it was finished I loved it!

However, while I was happy with my Route 66 sign on this paint color,

my old brown clock practically disappeared when I put it up.

So I decided to hit it with a little white paint and try it again.

Definitely not working for me.

And I am not sure about the basket on the counter either..

I know the clock is up to high, but it is so big that when I hang it

lower someone sits on that stool, bumps their head on it and it falls on them.

People don’t seem to like that. Go figure.

So – I decided to try a different clock.

Nope..

Not feeling it. I decided to try one more thing.

Not perfect, but much better!

I can’t seem to get away from the matchy matchy thing..

I do have red elsewhere in my kitchen – so there is color in there.

I am much happier with it now thought, without the border and with some color on the wall.

Of course, it looks great with the kitchen island I refinished back in September.

Kitchen Island Redo

Now I need to get the rest of the cabinet done!!

There is always something isn’t there??

I told my husband this is the last fixer upper I ever want to buy.

But we don’t have plans to move anytime soon,

so for now we will just keep on tackling projects.

Right now I am pretty happy with this one!

Well, I am off to be lazy for the last 5 hours or so of my weekend….how about you?

1. Donna

We are in the middle of a total kitchen remodel. Not by choice. Had a leak and boom!!! You can look on FB at my pictures. Anyway, now for the fun part, picking out color for the walls. My living room is brown!!! Can’t decide on the kitchen. Your brown kitchen caught my eye and so now I am writing you about nothing. LOL!!! I need help. Can’t decide on a color. My brown is Martha Stewart Spud. Love your redo!!

2. pat kuehn

It looks great…did you put on two coats like the email said???
    It is funny how comfortable we get with things and then all of a sudden one day, after yrs. we have to change it, and then we wonder how we lived with it that way for so long(I think that run-on sentence made sense!)…anyway it looks awesome.

3. Patricia

Your new wall looks very good. I’m wondering exactly how you removed the wallpaper border as I am currently stripping it off in our master bathroom. Thanks.

Love the “Brown” in your kitchen!! Yes, it looks Amazing with your Island!!

5. Taylor

How do you feel about the color “peach?” Is there hope for it?

Love the new wall color. It looks so much better with the Route 66 sign than the 90′s flower border. Its funny the things we like one day, we start to wonder what we were thinking a few years later. 8 years into our “new” house and we’re still tweaking here and there. It may never be finished, but isn’t that part of the fun?

7. Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com

Great change for your kitchen. That is a nice neutral light brown. Love your Route 66 sign, and what you ended up with from all of your choices. I like to shop the house as well.
    I have a brown kitchen wall too. Though mine is quite a bit darker, and is a cinnamon-ny tobacco-ish (-what? those are words!…) brown called Toasty by Sherwin Williams. I like it, but have been thinking of making some changes in my kitchen, so we will see how long it lasts!
    Love all of your changes to the kitchen. Great post! All hail the power of paint!
    xo-Lisa

8. Paula

Love the color. I once painted my bedroom chocolate brown. ALL FOUR WALLS. My husband wasn’t a fan, so when he deployed to Iraq the first time, I changed it. I painted it yellow. Much happier. Secretly, I loved the brown.

9. Linda @nothingbutblueskyes

Sharyl – I DO really love the changes. Adding the horizontal painting and using that great color makes a world of difference. I have just one question. I see you have your tabletop mounted on a half-wall. Is that something that has to be there, or can you take it out? I’m asking because I was wondering if you could have the table horizontally mounted on the wall, which would give you more of a space between the island and the table. At any rate, I love your style and choice of colors in decorating. And congrats on removing the 90′s wallpaper border. I used to have them all over the place :-D

10. shelia

I too have become a fan of brown, I told my daughter just a few days ago that I think the next time I paint I’m going to use brown everywhere, it just seems to go with everything. I just painted the upper portion of my kitchen and dining area a warm choclate brown, love it. Halfway thru I thought oh no… but carried on and I love the end result, yes it is dark but it looks so good with cream and red which I am obsessed with! Sorry to ramble on…love reading your blog.

11. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home

I really like the updated brown color, Sharyl. I know what you mean about sitting around and a decade goes by!

12. melesa

I love the changes to the kitchen. I really liked the red clock, but the pic is cute too!