Kitchen Cabinet Transformation

We have made quite a bit of progress on our Kitchen cabinet transformation.

I decided to go ahead and show you what we have done now, before the entire thing

is finished. We are doing it in stages and to be honest I just can’t wait!

Some of you may remember my Kitchen Island post from last summer.

Kitchen Island Transformation

I wanted to make a change to my kitchen cabinets. What I really wanted to do was paint them white.

However, my husband didn’t like that idea. He likes a wood finish – and wants to

be able to see the wood grain. We compromised by using this Rust-OLeum cabinet kit on them.

We were both very happy with the results! And you can’t beat the price ūüėČ

After completing the kitchen island cabinets, we put off finishing the rest

of the kitchen cabinets for about 6 months..

Not our longest time to put off a home project, believe me!

Then last week, fortunately (?) my husband was laid off from his job.

I had a light bulb moment – Kitchen cabinet project!!!

My husband hates those light bulbs.. detests them, actually.

But he suffered through, and I even took a day off to join him in getting

the project done. I will say even with the kit it is more than just a weekend project.

Depending, of course, on the amount of cabinets you have.

We decided to tackle the project in stages. We started with the upper cabinets and the

cabinets surrounding the wall oven. The kit comes with both an instruction

booklet and a video tutorial. I found both to be very helpful.

One of the things I like the best about this kit is that you don’t need to do any sanding!

You start by taking off all of the cabinet doors and deglazing them front and

back, along with the cabinet base front. The de-glazer comes with the kit, as do

gloves and a scrubber. After washing and deglazing you begin to put on the base coat.

It looks just like paint, but is a little bit thicker. You want to put it on in a thin coat, so that the grain of

the wood shows through. Each coat needs to dry for 2 hours, and you need 2 coats on each side of the

doors and on the cabinet base. This is one of the time consuming parts!

After each piece has two coats on each side and is completely dry, you begin the staining.

This was the part that my husband insisted I do all by myself.

It takes awhile to figure out how much stain to put on and wipe off

to get the look you are going for. I ended up with a very light stain look –

I wanted  a whitewashed cabinet finish like this picture.

(Actually – I wouldn’t mind having this whole kitchen!)

Source

I started on the back of a cabinet door, to make sure I could get the color right.

I did two cabinet doors front and back and then stood them up on the

counter and stepped back to see what I thought. I decided they were too dark,

so my sweet husband repainted them so I could re-stain. I loved having that

option!! After that, I figured out how to  get the look I wanted by doing a really light

application of stain with a paint brush, then immediately wiping it off with the included cheesecloth.

It is hard to see, but the left side has the stain on, the right is just base coat.

You can see how light I went with it.

After you do the staining front and back on the doors and on the cabinet base,

you are ready to do the finish coat! This is the protective clear top coat that protects

the surface of the wood and makes it easier to clean.

This coat really makes it all come together! It made the cabinets look professional and like

we had bought them with that finish. I am so over the top happy with the results!

Here is a shot of the cabinet finish before:

The cabinets practically disappear into the floor.

And here is an after shot –

Boom!

One of the nice things about this whitewashed finish is that it has

brightened up the kitchen, which always had a tendency to look somewhat dark.

Here is a shot of the wall oven section. The lower cabinet doors are now

off because my husband is laid off again this week.

So when he is not out job hunting he is working on this project.

We choose hardware that has a bronze finish. And once again I love the look!

I especially love these drawer pulls.

Here are a couple of shots that include the island –

they are a little bright because of the sun shining in.

Here is a shot that shows how well it looks even on the cabinet end panel.

The wood grain really shows through.

Hopefully my husband will be able to be back at work soon. In the meantime though,

I am thrilled we had the extra time to get this done.

Do you ever feel like the home repairs and/or updates will never end?

I am pretty sure my husband does!

To see an update on my kitchen come and check out my new Faux Granite Countertops!

Faux The Win!

1. Maureen

That looks great and I’m sure the kitchen is much brighter. How many doors will a kit cover?

So far we have done 22 doors and 10 drawers! All with the same kit!

Steph Stimson Reply:

Wow! That stuff goes a long way!

2. Becca

Wow, your cabinets turned out great! I’d like to try this and you have given me hope that it can be done! Thanks for sharing your experience.

3. LindaW

Wowsers! Looks beautiful. Does the hubby get baked goods for a reward? ; }

LOL! As a matter of fact, I have tried to get him to fix dinner since I am at work all day and he is home. His idea of that is telling me to order pizza as soon as I get home from work!

4. LindaW

Grrrr. Mine would at least be willing to man the BBQ. Yes, even in February!

5. Cindy

Looking good! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

6. Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com

Fantastic transformation! I can see why you are thrilled with the results! Love it with the wall color too!
    xo-Lisa

7. Steph Stimson

Sharyl, that looks AWESOME!!!!! What a difference and now you have contrast between your cabs and your floor!

My prayers are with you two that you hubs is able to find work soon…looks like he’ll be glad to get back to work to do less work, you have him hopping! LOL

8. Wichiepoo

WOW, beautiful transformation!!! I love it.
    See, for me, it is NEVER finished, because I just got a lightbulb moment. This kitchen would look perfect with butcher-block counter tops ūüėČ .
    It is beautiful the way it is, but I am all about the butcher block counter tops.
    Great job!

9. Kkpfrase

Did you have any trouble with the top coat looking streaky? Did you do two coats or just one?

We just did one coat – and we used a small paint brush and put it on lightly. We had no problem with streaks at all!

10. Gloria

I loved your cabinets. They came out great. I am going forth and venturing to do mine. Thank you for inspiring me! I went out and bought the Rustoleum Cabinet transformation. DId you use pure white? I didn’t know there were so many choices. Thanks for your help.

11. Bella

This is Bella from China,nice to contact you!
    We are big factory which have many years experience in producing Wood Cabinets(Maple, Oak, Beech…).
    Our head office is in US.
    We can make samples as your requirement for any color,or you can choose our modle.
    I can give offer to you, the best offer!
    So, don’t hesitate to contact me!

12. Andrea

What color did you use? I am trying to achieve exact same color you have!

13. Sandra

Your kitchen looks great . I used the Cabinet Transformation this weekend and Wow so easy . My neice came by to see what we had done and she said it look like a pro had done this. It was a huge compliment and it only took a weekend ; )

14. Pat

Deglazing question…I scrubbed the deglazing on my cabinets as instructed, but they wood stills feels smooth. Should it feel a little rough before I apply the bond product.

15. Steph

I just came here from Pinterest after searching for info on the rustoleum cabinet kit, and I am in LOVE with how yours came out! I’m with your husband on liking to see the wood grain, but I also do love a good white, clean kitchen. Thanks for the informative post :)

16. Sara

LOVE your cabinets. I want that exact color. Can you tell me what color you had them tint it? There are a few options of white tones and I dont’ believe you said what color you got–linen? quilters white? pure white?
    Thank you!
    Sara

17. Norberto

Hi there! I jjust wanted to ask if you ever have anyy problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks oof
    hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

18. Reva

While medication manufacturers are working hard to develop oral medications that could improve male organ sensitivity
    levels, topical male organ health cremes might play a key
    role. If I had those two in my life, I settled
    much faster and I felt happy. The main reason for using the FM system is to offset the major disadvantage of the AM system.
    To come up with great ideas to solve a problem
    we usually use a method called brainstorming. There have been numerous studies to prove its existence, with some success and with some disappointments.

19. best mobile under 15000

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The
    web site style is great, the articles is really great :
    D. Good job, cheers

20. Michele

Where did you get those longer black handles?

21. Joanne
    1 year ago

I’m wondering how to freshen up cabinets that are already whitewashed. They are about 15 years old and I think they would look much nicer with more white than they already have, but I can’t seem to figure out even who to call to look at it and I’d like to research it first. My biggest question is whether this means stripping them or whether I might be able to just overpaint with whitewash (plus some sort of topcoat). Any thoughts?

22. nerf gun cs-6 longshot when
    1 year ago

No matter what age your kids is they could take pleasure
    in playing while using Ben 10 toys, games, puzzles and Ben 10 action figures.

Of course, this toy was no ordinary toy, also it was unique
    when compared with all other dolls. Top 10 nerf guns in the world I’ve put together some in the most popular sex toys that could really spice up your love life.

Nowadays, buying adult sex toys have become easy
    on account of inception of reputed online stores dealing in various types of stuff
    to further improve sexual pleasure. Thelma could have left the toy alone,
    taken the toy, or asked if she could enjoy the toy.