Not Your G-Ma’s Wardrobe – Layers

Welcome to another edition of NYGW!!

I come to you today with a question –

How do you feel about layers? Do you wear layers often or are you a one-piece at a time person?

I think you would call me a fan of layers. I tend to dress that way year round.

I have several reasons for choosing a layered life:

1) Warmth

2) Hiding lumps and bumps

3)Plunging necklines and short skirts

4) Hiding lumps and bumps

5) The miracle of Spandex

6) Hiding lumps and bumps

I don’t know if I mentioned that I also like to dress in layers to hide lumps and bumps..

Here is a picture of the outfit I wore today –

I may have gone overboard with the layers this time…

Sometimes I am afraid that too many layers add bulk, rather than the effect I want.

Which is hiding lumps and bumps….

This is a dress, with a vest over it, leggings under it, belted, with a jean jacket..

Thats five layers for those of you keeping track.

I was really rockin the layers…

Not to mention what is under the dress..you know – the unmentionables.

Which may or may not contain a large dose of spandex.

If I was to need resuscitation with those little electric paddles thingies

they would have to use the jaws of life to get past my clothes..

And while we are talking layers, you may notice that I have

even brought my hair in on the theme.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, there is a big ole line of dark roots on that head.

I would like to thank unemployment for this particular look…..

I keep hearing people say dark roots are “in” now. I feel certain that is a rumor started

by a group of middle aged ladies that can no longer afford to get their hair done.

Maybe if we all come together and begin posting dark-rooted-ladies pictures on Pinterest

it will start a revolution – I know we can do it. Who is with me? 😉

I feel like this picture makes me look a little thinner – even with the layers..

I think I will use it as my Facebook profile picture….

For more run on sentences and incessant chatter – come and check out this weeks wardrobe post..

Not Your G-Ma’s Wardrobe

pleated poppy

1. Linda @nothingbutblueskyes

Your roots look fine! Wish I could say `dark roots’. Mine are pure white and resist color. Have been boxing it to save $$ – hubby unemployed and/or working part time/temp. Have to color every 3 weeks – not a happy camper!! Love the layers – rock on, Mama!

2. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

Love that skirt, Sharyl! I think this is a cute outfit. I’m not much of a layer person, but seem to have to be since all the tops I like appear to be see through. Since that is frowned upon in society, I’ve taken to wearing those spandex camisoles underneath {but I’d never wear one of those alone}.

Thank you! And the whole see-through thing is tough for me too! I guess I am something of a modest fuddy-duddy when it comes to things like that !

3. Deborah E

I especially like the leggings. I want to try them but am afraid of looking or feeling ridiculous….. due to age and all that ……

I am a big fan of your blog….you are always funny and share very budget friendly ideas to change up your house.

Thank you so much! And you should totally try the leggings – I even wear them under longer skirts, makes me feel less likely to flash somebody in a strong wind!!

Love the layers!! They are so fun…really cute with the belt too!!

5. Loretta

At least your roots are dark and you’re right they are more in now. Mine are white, which is way worse! You always look great.

Thank you sweetie – and you know you always look beautiful too! Actually with my hair color it would probably look better if my roots were grey!!!! I know – we women are never happy with what we have 😉

I’m a layer lover, too! Wait, that sounded strange, but you get the idea. I layer every day and feel “off” if I don’t. What I like about it is that I can wear summer dresses in the winter paired with leggings and a warm sweater. I’d like to say that it keeps my closet from overflowing, but that would be a lie. Love your dress used as a skirt. I need to get me a ruffled dress/skirt, but again with the overflowing closet problem.

Yay! Someone else besides me who feels “off” if I don’t have a few layers between my skin and the world!!

7. Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com

Sharyl, You just crack me up! I love your layered outfit! Hopefully you won’t need any resuscitating anytime soon! 😉
    Have a great week!
    xo-LIsa

8. Nan Tee

Sharyl, you always look cute, no matter the layers!
    I couldn’t even tell you had a vest on, but I love everything you wear.
    And, didn’t you hear, dark roots worked for Madonna. 😉

9. Andee Eve Flynn

i love the layers! i love the whole look! cute skirt!
    rock those layers girl!
    ps- you are so funny! love your sense of humor!
    xo