Suitcase Shelf

Well, my husband was almost sure I had gone over the edge this time..

He was already puzzled a few months ago when I wanted to buy and old musty

suitcase just to have it sit around the house.  But I smiled sweetly and

he fell for my winsome ways, as usual..

But last week when I asked him to cut said suitcase in half,

he looked at me like I was one fry short of a happy meal.

I had to get on Pinterest and show him a picture before he understood what

the heck I was talking about. And, because he loves me, he cut the suitcase in half.

Now that right there is love, folks..

He used an 18 volt cordless circular saw to cut it. He ran tape across it first so he would

have something to guide him. This suitcase was made of wood, so that made it easier.

When he was done, he took a pine 1×4 and cut it to fit in the opening on the back.

Then he nailed that into the suitcase, also nailing the two sides together at

the joints so it would no longer open and close.

Here is a shot that shows the inside of the case. Which by the way smelled extremely bad.

It reminded me of the smell of my dogs ear when it gets infected, and that is where I thought

the smell originated when I first noticed it. But the whole room smelled that way.

I used Febreeze in the suitcase and let it sit and air out overnight. It is good now!

No idea what happened in it to cause that smell, and I really

don’t think I want to know the back story on it..

I hammered these sawtooth hangers onto the back into the wood piece.

Then it was time to hang it.. I have a hard time getting things to hang straight.

That is why there are usually several nail holes around anything I put on the wall.

So this time I used this free iPhone app called iHandy Level. So cute – and it works too!

Now for the fun part – pictures of the finished product!

Isn’t it just too cute!!

Now I am trying to think of what else I can cut in half and hang on the wall!

I don’t even mind the fact that it is torn up and shabby looking –

I am, however, happy that it no longer smells….

The suitcase was $12 and my husband did the cutting for free –

So all-in-all I think it was a pretty inexpensive shelf!

Let me know what you think!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
UndertheTableandDreaming

Today's Creative Blog

Home Stories A2Z

I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom

The Shabby Nest

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

1. Cheryl Thornton

love it…I saw it in Pinterest as well. My husband would have thought I was crazy too – but he would have done it for me as well…isnt great having a handy-man hubby!

looking forward to seeing more of your projects

Cheryl from Ontario

2. Caroline~the wanna be country girl

What a clever idea, and it really looks cute! Don’t you just love piterest. So many great ideas, so little time.
    ~Caroline

Oh my goodness! That may be the cutest little shelf I’ve ever seen! Such a clever idea. It would be perfect for displaying trip photos and souvenirs. Love the fact that it was a group project with your huband, too. Ah, togetherness….

4. Taylor

I think it looks so cool! And I thoroughly enjoy that you are looking for other objects to cut in half and just smack on your wall.

What is life without whimsy, I ask you?

5. Linda @nothingbutblueskyes

The shelf is adorable, BUT what I am most liking is that you showed us that great app. Just got my iPhone yesterday. I’ve finally arrived at the 21st century. Having a blast adding apps!!

6. Carolyn

So Creative…I Love it! I also downloaded the IHandy Level app. TFS

7. Lynne

I saw that idea in a magazine and loved it. I thought about doing it but I love the suitcases whole and couldn’t bring myself to cut it. Seeing yours, I may have to reconsider!

8. Deborah Barnes

So cute! I have seen old suitcases stacked as side tables, but never cut in half. Another great idea ^_^

Find yourself a cute little shabby table to cut in half. I have seen this done in a guest bedroom to save space. Deb

I really want to do that too!

Wow…I missed this post too!! It is really cute Sharyl!!

10. Brandi

That is sooo cute! Love the vintagey/shabby look.
    I about fell off the couch lauging when you said it “smelled like the inside of a dogs infected ear”..so funny…cause I have a dog.It was like a smell-o-vision.

11. Amy Fountain

How vintage! I love this piece.

12. Sarah @ Alderberry Hill

Honestly, this is beyond cool…I absolutely love it…thanks for sharing!

Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill
    alderberryhill.blogspot.com

13. Angie @ Knick of Time Interiors

I think it’s fabulous! I’ve admired those suitcase shelves also and hope to make one for our house.

Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time…I hope you’ll come by and visit!

14. Tammy

I love this idea…I have several old suit cases… I just don’t know if I have the heart to cut it in half…but….you sure make it tempting!!! great idea!

15. Pat

I bet the hinges on that suit case are just as neat. No point in the back half going to waste…I bet you could make another shelf out of the back part!

very clever,too.
    Pat

16. Ada

Double Love!!!

I love when you do fun stuff (island makeover) and I can convince Adam to help me do it. I’m on the lookout for a suitcase. Hee hee

Great work!

17. Lina

Love how it turned out! It looks great. I didnt know about that iPhone app…how amazing..
    Lina

18. Olga@StardustDecorStyle

This is genius! Great project! Sharyl I was wondering if you’re interested in guest posting at my blog Stardust? I host a guest blogger every Friday, and I know my readers would love these kind of projects. So shoot me an email if it’s a yes!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Love, Olga

19. Nancy Hopple

Simply devine ! What a wonderful idea and a job well done by both you and your hubby. Thanks for sharing.

20. Marsha

This is such an innovative way of breathing new life into something old! We have a few old suitcases we were just about to toss away that would be perfect for this project, not to mention it’ll be an absolutely awesome way to spruce up my office at Dish. They are different sizes too, which will make for a super cool effect. I just hope I can pull it off as well as you did. I’m the type of person that needs detailed instructions to complete anything. I messed up my first attempt at boiling noodles because my mother was too vague about when to put them in the pot! LOL! That’s why I usually end up getting all my project ideas from HGTV and the DIY Network, just so I can record them and replay steps when I inevitably get confused! Luckily, I have the Hopper DVR that comes with tons of recording space to house all my project aspiriations. This is too cute to not at least try out though! I’ll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

21. Sylvie

I just love it. What a great idea! I think that being a bit torned up gives it its cachet. Congratulations!

22. Lori

Looks GREAT! I am looking to do this.
    What a wonderful husband you have! Mine is going to look at me the same way, that is why I am bookmarking your page. Thank you for sharing the instructions.