Not Your G-Ma’s Wardrobe

August 28, 2012 24 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Welcome to Not Your G-Ma’s Wardrobe!

The post where I get to show you an outfit I have put together with

an attempt to be fashionable while age-appropriate.

Because 21st Century Grandma’s got flair…..

______________________________________________________

I wanted to insert a different word in place of flair,

one that I thought was a current slang word,

but when I googled it to be sure it meant what I thought it meant,

I found out it does not…

and I will now be removing that word from my vocabulary…

G-Ma learned a lesson…

Kind of like that joke where the lady wrote LOL on the sympathy card she

sent out because she thought it meant Lots Of Love..

__________________________________________________________

G-Ma tip #208:

Do not under any circumstances use a slang word without knowing for sure

what it means.. really.. just don’t do it.

When in doubt – google.

Anyway..back to the wardrobe ;-)

I got this skirt at Target last weekend – and I am in love with it!!

It is a pencil skirt, which is a great style for me.

Actually, it seems to me this would be a good style on most figures.

Let me know in the comments if you agree with that!

So, I love the style.

I also love prints on the lower half of my body.

As we all know – I am an apple shape.

I carry my weight on the upper half of my body.

I find that wearing skirts or pants that are a print,

while wearing a darker solid color on top,

helps balance out my body shape.

And, as we all know, a balanced G-Ma is a happy G-Ma..

I am just wearing a simple short sleeved T-shirt underneath

with my denim jacket thrown on for when I am at work in the air conditioning.

I can’t wait to try it out with some boots as the weather gets cooler.

It was $22 at Target, a little more than I usually spend on a skirt

but I knew the shape and style was something I will be able to use for

a long time. I am including a link to it on the Target site if anyone

wants to check it out – I am not being compensated by Target or anything

I just wanted to share! Although if they wanted me to be their spokesmodel…..

(By the way, I googled spokesmodel too just to be sure!)

Target Skirt

I will leave you with something I gave to my boss at work today.

It is a drawing that represents what he is asking me for vs. what I am creating for him…

He speaks in spreadsheets – I speak, think, create, function, live, and breathe in WORDS….

Lots and Lots of Words...

With excessive punctuation thrown in..just to show how important the words are..

Poor guy  ;-)

Miss you guys! I love it when you leave me comments – cause you know I love lots of words!

1. Marsha Klipp

Missed you! So happy to have you back….you inspire me. :)

2. Melissa @ A Time for Everything

No, no. Pencil skirts on my pear shape are a bad idea. They accentuate my hips, which is the very last life goal on my bucket list. Think “back to school”–pencils and apples go together.

I do love that skirt on you, though! Very flattering.

3. Christy@ Life, Made Interesting

SOoooo glad to see you post again… missed you! I’ve seen that skirt and almost bought it. Dang… may need to go back to Target. I love that look! So cute! (I am an apple too… )

4. Becki Foster

Great skirt! The whole outfit is perfect on you! Miss your posts!

5. Brenda

Thanks for starting my morning with a laugh! And I’m dying to know what word you were going to use!!
    You look great in that outfit – I love it!

lol -
    Brenda ;)

6. Carol-Anne (Use The Good Dishes!)

I’m SO happy to see you again, and happy, too, that you are also an ‘apple’ shape! I always feel like an oddball, as almost all the women I know are big in the hips and bottom, while I’m biggest in the middle, with slim hips, butt and legs.

That skirt looks great on you! I wear skirts and dresses all summer, because they suit my thinner ‘bottom half’.

(…..and I’m dying to know what the ‘bad’ word was, ’cause I bet I’ve used it too!)

7. Deborah E

Sharyl, I used to be a pencil shape. Then I had kids and now I am a wider ruler shape. I found pencial skirts about a year ago and LOVED what they do for my appearance.

Thanks for the heads up on the Target skirt…….I am there today! Hope I find one. You look too cute in that outfit ……….!

What’s up with the stairs carpet???

Deborah E Reply:

oops…I added an “a” when spelling pencil. duh

My goodness, you look like you could be going back to school in that outfit! OK, maybe not high school, but definitely college. I just love how youthful you look without looking like you’re trying too hard. Maybe you SHOULD be their spokesmodel! As a previous poster said, my pear shape doesn’t tend to translate into skirts–especially of the colorful, look at my hips variety–but I’m always up for a little experimentation.

You’re spoiling us with two posts in as many weeks. Not that I’m complaining in the least.

9. the domestic fringe

Love your skirt. It’s fabulous.

Visiting from The Pleated Poppy today…
    ~FringeGirl
    thedomesticfringe.com

10. Linda@NothingButBlueSkyes

Okay – I finally did it. My VERY FIRST post for What-I-Wore-Wednesday. Be kind. Enjoy. And thanks for the inspiration. Glad you’re ‘back’

11. Barb K

Love you in that skirt!! It certainly is a flattering shape. I so enjoy reading your posts and your general outlook on life…… hope you are back for a while.

Love the skirt on you, the colors are so pretty! And now I racking my brain trying to think of the word you thought meant ” flair”!

13. Melody

Pencil skirt…not good for short, pear shapes like me. Looks great on you though. It is really good to see you. I am curious about the word too. Take care. I do love denim jackets too.

14. Josie

Love this outfit on you!
    Lovely…just lovely!

15. Pam

Good to hear from you! Love seeing all of your shopping deals. I’m excited because we are getting a TJMax store and it will open soon! I hope I find all the bargains you seem to find. Thanks for popping up in my mailbox. It feels like I’m hearing from a good friend! Take care.

16. Christianne

Are you kidding? Your “apple” shape sure doesn’t look like mine! lol You look great. And the outfit is cute too.
    On a different note, I liked your cartoon drawing.

17. Diane | An Extraordinary Day

Now that is one lovely skirt!!!
    To set the record….no we all do not look good in pencil skirts….but we sure wish we did.
    And two…I see no apple shaped lovely in the photo. No pear either. You’re looking pretty good G-ma!!!!

Hope your holiday weekend is Extraordinary. And filled with lots and lots of words :D

18. suzie

must agree about the pear shape, and horizontal stripes on the pear, yikes! Looks darling on you though. love the colors!

19. Susan

Okay, you lured me out of lurkdom to say how glad I am to see you post. I love, love, love your blog. What a great outfit. You look amazing.

20. Katie

that skirt looks great on you!! and I like your little drawing! : )

21. Lynne

I love that outfit on you! Probably my favorite of all you’ve shown! Now on me… That would be hideous! I would make the fashion don’t page in a magazine. They would say “if your behind is the size of a small state then run run away from pencil skirts and horizontal stripes! ”
    I pretty much stick with black on my lower half! I’m sure people mistake me for 2 sizes smaller with that trick! Lol!

22. Rupa

Looks great on you! I somehow haven’t been wearing pencil skirts in the last few years although I liked them a lot for office before (especially with a jacket on it). I like flowing/georgette type of summer skirts now more but of course in MI, I can’t wear them in winter. May be I will pass by Target soon…..)

23. Melesa Garrison

I’ve missed your post and happened to come across it this afternoon. I like the skirt on you, but I do not think every shape could get away with it. You are so funny, as usual!