Not Your G-Ma’s Wardrobe

September 5, 2012 13 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Happy September! Hope you all had an amazing holiday weekend-

I spent part of mine not feeling well and in a bad mood because of it..

And for some reason, those 2 things led me to paint the bathroom.

I am sure many of you can understand how that is a natural progression..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that September is here, the days are already getting a little cooler.

And the nights are downright chilly!

So I am back to my favorite style trend – layering..

I got this little dress at Target last spring on clearance for around $10

I have worn it many times, usually as an open jacket with jeans.

But I also love how comfy it is with leggings.

These leggings are black with tiny white polka-dots on them.

I don’t often mix patterns, that is just so scary for me!

But I love it when I try it and it works – it makes me feel daring and free. Courageous..

Because mixing patterns is so courageous you know..

Ok – I suppose when you put mixing patterns up against something like throwing yourself

on a hand grenade to protect someone else it doesn’t quite measure up.. but for me it is brave ;-)

And, in another act of sheer bravery, I put that center photo in.

The one that shows my sagging face and jowls..

Why did no one ever tell me I would get jowls?

I have found that I  now look best in pictures taken from above – so that I am looking up.

That minimizes the whole jowl/double chin/saggy face aging thing..

Unfortunately I now require a photographer that is at least 7 feet tall…

I would think in another year I will need him to use a ladder – and I can see myself eventually getting

to the point where the photographer will need to take my photo from a satellite orbiting the earth..

And don’t even get me started on chin hair and excessive eyebrow growth..right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok – this post has begun to sound like a rant..

I can hear you all thinking – ‘maybe blog retirement was a good idea after all’.. ;-)

I will quit now while you still love me – I hope!

And I will leave you with a couple of pictures of our basement remodel – we have the new

floor in and are beginning to transfer our family room furniture down there.

I am loving the new floor!

It is like a clean slate right now  -   I am excited to start putting it together!

Hope you all have a great week -

1. Deborah E

Sharyl,

I am still afraid to wear leggings…….maybe now I will get one and try it on. At home. In front of my magic mirror. ……it never lies to me!

I will have to try your strategy the next time my daughter gets her camera out.

I did get the stripe skirt and LOVE IT. I let down what little hem there was as I am somewhat long legged and don’t want to feel like I am wearing a mini.

It looks like you and hubs have been busy …….I love the door. Our house has the same ones.

Did your husband find a job or get back to his old position? I hope so.

You blog is so fun and HONEST. Thanks for sharing and keeping it real.

Deb E.
    Kansas

I am so excited you got the striped skirt!! And my husband has his plumbing contractor license now and has gotten a job here and there for the past couple of months. We never know what is coming or when, but God has been taking care of us! It is so sweet of you to ask about that ;-)

2. suzie

SO CUTE! I too am afraid to wear leggings, but maybe I will give them a try. And the jowl thing….I know, right? Love hearing from you Sharyl, God Bless!

3. Lori

Hi Shari! It’s so good to hear from you! Be brave and be free! I hear you on the jowls and all that “wonderful” stuff… Ugh! I have found myself having to be more careful on certain angles as well. At least you have great legs! I’m not even a gma yet and I have gma legs!!
    Blessings,
    Lori

Be still my heart! Three weeks in a row? I must have been a very good girl. :o ) I am full-on a leggings girl. I just love how comfy they are and that they allow me to wear my summer dresses in the fall just by adding leggings and a sweater. You would think that would mean less shopping, but alas that is not the case.

Loved your photography lesson, too. I’m going to have to try that since I’ve got a wicked double chin going on. Another trick I learned is to smile with your tongue touching the back of your upper teeth. Odd, I know, but it works to lift the chin. Speaking of, I know about chin hair (I have one stupid whisker that refuses to go away), but I never heard about excessive eyebrow growth. Great! Something to look forward to!

As always, love your posts. They put a smile in my day.

I am so going to try the touching the back of your teeth thing!! And yes, the eyebrow thing.. I remember thinking how weird old men looked with their incredibly bushy eyebrows, now I know it happens to older women too! I am thinking God thought we needed more eye protection as we get older? I don’t know.. maybe it is so we can feel our way around with our eyebrows because our eyes are dimming??

5. Bonnie

Oh Sharyl! I thought I lost your blog! I’m not sure how long ago I lost it but I realized it today and did a search on google as all I could remember was brown house!!!

Anyway, you are now in my feed again!

I have leggings and trying to find longer tunics/dresses to wear over them. That is harder than one would think!

Cute!

So glad you found me again!!!

6. Rupa

Awesome post as usual! I think I need some leggings now :) I am amazed that at the drop of a hat, some of you ladies just can go and paint the bathroom! We have neutral color all over the house, so I couldn’t just change just one bathroom. Even if I had the guts to do it, it would take so much planning on my part…I guess I am not that spontaneous! I LOVE your basement. We finished ours last year and I love it but still looking for black leather furniture and of course, yours caught my eye right away. May I ask where you got the two chairs with wooden arms? I already know I will be getting a black leather sofa but instead of love seat, these chairs fit the same # of people and are more mobile..hope you don’t mind me asking :) PS: I absolutely love the bar stools too….hmmm…may I need them too!

7. Daenel T

You are such a fab dresser! Love the idea of a dress with leggings (I really need to buy a pair). And yay for basement remodels. You are so right, it is like getting a clean slate. Just fun.

8. Linda

Your outfit is adorable!

9. Kelly

Happy Lord’s Day. I decided to check your blog as I was getting ready for church. I’m one of those quiet blog watchers, I generally don’t comment. But I wanted to tell you I enjoy your blog.

Your ideas for decorating are wonderful, love your clothing ideas……Glad you are back blogging some.

I would love to know where your purchased your basement rug, love it.

Take care and enjoy your day.

10. Carolyn

Jowl? What jowls?

But I totally agree about the chin hairs! I’m wondering if I could get my friends to grow them out, then hire a practitioner and get together for an electrolysis party — sort of like a Botox party. What do you think? I’m sure new ones would spring up, but not for a while……..

Carolyn in California