Bathroom Makeover

September 23, 2012 35 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

I am so excited to finally show off my bathroom makeover!

If you follow me on Facebook, you would have seen that

I have been working on it for a few weeks now -

I only have 1 before picture.. and it isn’t very good-

But you can tell it was brown..

I love brown – hence the name of my blog and the color of most of my house.

But lately – I have been drawn to more color.. I have found myself wanting to take a

step outside of my neutral color safety zone. I can’t even tell you how hard that was!

For some reason, it seems impractical to me to go with a brighter, less neutral color on the wall.

I know – I have issues… ;-)

I decided I wanted to use green and turquoise,

which was a huge difference from what I had in there.

I started out with a shower curtain from Target, and matched my paint colors to it.

The curtain was only $15.99 on sale – I love Target!!

The little bath mat you see on the floor was from Kohls, it was also on sale for $15.

The striped hand towels were from Target too, and the filler for my apothecary jar is from Michael’s.

(with 40% off coupon of course!)

The green basket is an old Longaberger one I had.

I have so many Longaberger baskets from when I used to sell them-

They are stashed in closets all over the house!

I put a pair of decorative shutters over the toilet -

Just because…

I left the mirrors the same, but I am thinking about painting

the frames either white or silver.

This adorable little guy was also purchased at Target – $10

I love it so much! Isn’t it funny how something so small and

inexpensive can make you so happy? Of course, I was under the

influence of a Salted Caramel Mocha when I bought it…

And I am sure you all recognize this classic -

The Fiestaware pitcher.

I really did buy it just for the bathroom… I know that sounds odd..

But I love it so I will just roll with it, and pretend everyone keeps kitchen objects in

their bathroom.. in fact – before running water people did have pitchers in there

right??? So there you go – it was just a nostalgic nod to a previous age -

I found this little print online and just had to have it!

I bought the frame at Michaels, I like the farmhouse look of it.

We are not completely finished with the room yet.

We meaning my husband…

We are doing a board and batton wall treatment – and I am sure

we represent the last people in the world to finally tackle that Diy..

If you are unfamilier with the look, here is our inspiration photo.

We have the top board up, but have yet to do the vertical boards underneath.

Once again, that is we meaning my husband….

I will take more pictures when we have the wall treatment done.

The paint we used was Behr, and we used their bright white semi-gloss and

the green color was satin and called Contemplation.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures – let me know what you think.

Did I do the right thing is stepping out of my neutral comfort zone or not?

Linking this up with:

Home Stories A2Z

1. Marilyn

I think it looks great. You’ll love the beaded board!

2. Cheryl Thornton

very nice…you are not the last to tackle board and batten…I too am just doing it in my house..better late than never!!

Oh good! I am glad to hear it isn’t just me!!

3. Carol-Anne (Use The Good Dishes!)

Oh my gosh, it’s sooooo lovely and cheerful and bright in there! So much better!’

(we get our first Target in Canada in a few months and I’m just counting the days!)

Thank you! And I hope you enjoy your Target as much as I do mine ;-)

I Love the colors…Love the shower curtain!! Dwell studio?? from Target? You are doing great! Board and Batten has been one of my favorite wall treatments since Sabrina the movie…the rooms above the garage where the Chauffeur’s daughter lived… : ) Or was it on Sleepless in Seattle first? I digress….you are doing a great job!!

I love both of those movies! I will have to go back and check that – I didn’t remember noticing it when I watched them! And of course, now I want to do every room with that wall treatment – I tend to go overboard when I really like something…. ;-)

5. Linda

Love the color choices. And the little things! Those were my favorite choices when I did the bath over last year. When it all comes together, you feel like you’ve accomplished so much. Great use of patterns, too. It all comes together! Enjoy!

Thank you!!

6. Lorie Dearinger

I have a kitchen water pitcher in my bathroom too. Doesn’t everyone? LOL
    Love you new bath – beautiful colors – very soothing and relaxing.

7. Becki Foster

Love the colors you chose! The bathroom looks very fresh and updated! Great job!

8. Lori

Hi Shari! Be free! I think the colors are awesome! Your bathroom looks fresh and carefree. Beautiful job! Btw… I’ve not done any board and batten yet…. Looking to start hopefully next week. We’ll see how it goes!

9. Cindy

Love the shutter idea. I may have to borrow it!

10. Diane | An Extraordinary Day

Simply L-O-V-E-L-Y!!!! I love the softness and relaxed feeling. Your colors are perfect!!! And always…I love seeing Longaberger :D – and I still sell it!
    If your B&B never happens who would know? Enjoy!! I’m sure you are!

11. Daryl

I like the bathroom a lot, but I’m just so happy you are blogging again. Missed you a lot. You make me smile every time I read one of your blogs.

12. Jane

Wow, what a change! It is absolutely beautiful! It is so full of light and happy looking.I love the new colors. Even if you don’t paint the mirrors, it still looks great.

I would like to make one suggestion if I may. I would like to see a plant or floral on the half wall by the toilet. It will give a little privacy. I did the same thing in my bathroom and what a difference.

Again, great job! Keep on blogging!

Thank you! And thanks for the suggestion – that is a great idea. I have been thinking about trying a plant again, I seem to be the kiss of death with all plants! But maybe it would survive in the bathroom with the moisture?

Beth Reply:

Maybe u could try 2 or 3 pots of Mother-in-law tongue. Love the renovation.

13. Deborah

I love your “new” bathroom. Colors are so pretty. Gotta love Target, too! Great job, Sharyl. So nice hearing from you. Deb

14. Lynne

It looks fantastic! I love the color and the shower curtain! I go and look and I find so many I like, but I always tend to go with plain white. I figure it looks spa like and it never goes out of style. My husband would like me to add some color, so I did in our other bathroom by adding colored towels!

15. Pam

Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone! That can be so hard to do. You have to love your new bathroom because it’s beautiful. How cheerful is it to see it in the morning instead of neutral? That’s the way to start your day. Now stay out of that comfort zone! You’re so creative. You’ll be so proud of yourself in the end. Keep up the good work!!!!

16. Athena at Minerva's Garden

I totally think you did the right thing to try something new that intrigued you–brava! I love your color choices, and the Fiestaware–beautiful! I love that little dispenser as well–very pretty. Loved seeing how this room got transformed. Give your hubby a hug–he did a great job so far!

17. Pam Waddell

Just remember my motto when you are afraid to step out of your box regarding paint colors…”it is only a bucket of paint.”

So bright and cheerful! It looks like it should be in a lake house somewhere. I can see how that shower curtain would be inspiration–its fantastic! You and your husband make a good makeover team.

19. Josie

Your ‘new’ bathroom looks so lovely! You did a fantastic job!

20. Caty

I love the makeover, and I LOVE that pitcher! :)

21. Kelly

Lovely……..you did good!

22. Nancy

Love the look and colors! It is so great to have you back, even part time. We have missed you!

23. Steph

Honey, you are DEFINITELY not the last person on this earth to do the b & b…I have yet to conquer that project in my hallway but CONSTANTLY think about it. LOL The bathroom looks marvelous! Love the colors!

24. Dee in BC

Your bathroom is beautiful- I’m glad to see you post again as I don’t do facebook.

25. Linda

You did a beautiful job!

26. Karen

Lovely makeover! I love the Fiesta pitcher and the little cupboard beside it. Can you tell us where you got the “six impossible things…” quote? thanks!

27. Linda @ it all started with paint

I love that you stepped out of your neutral color zone! And the board and batten is going to be the perfect finishing touch!

Linda

28. Lina

I love the shower curtain and how it all turned out :)

I have a lot of those “we” projects too!

Lina @ fancy frugal life

29. Roxanna

Hi Sharyl…….my daughter has the same shower curtain in her guest bath. Love the wall paint colors…….could you share this color with her as I think she would love this for her bathroom. Thanks so much!