Christmas Mantel 2012

December 3, 2012 11 Comments by Sharyl@Thelittlebrownhouse

Welcome to December!

I decided to spend the 1st day of December putting together my Christmas Mantel.

It is very simple and completely repurposed from what I already had.

Simple and repurposed has been a theme for me this entire year.. ;-)

I am going into this holiday season with very little money or time,

and determined to spend the energy and resources I do have on the

things that really matter in my life right now. So this simple little

project fits in well with that perspective….

I decided to go with a silver and white theme.

I began with a greenery garland I purchased half-off from Michaels last year.

I wove a small set of white mini lights within the garland.

I repurposed a dollar store vase by gluing it to a dollar store candle holder

with E6000 craft glue. Then I filled it will silver ornaments and jingle bells.

I placed that beside a small apothecary jar that I filled the same way.

I love the way the lights cut through the glass and the reflects off the silver- so pretty!

At the end of the mantel I placed some of the stryrofoam flower balls I made last year.

You can find the tutorial for those here.

I have actually had these out in a bowl year round – I love them!

I took the old chalkboard frame I put together for my Fall mantel and wrote

‘Joy to the World’ on it. Then I placed an antique silver lantern alongside it.

Since we only have one child living at home, and he is 21, we don’t

really hang up  Christmas stockings anymore.

I decided to put these cute little $1 Target buckets up instead.

The metal letter tags are something I picked up last summer at a flea market.

(Fun fact – the letters mean absolutely nothing, they were just the only ones left!)

I may fill these with something at some point, but I am not sure what yet.

I am still in love with the paper flowers I made to go on my Fall mantel -

so I just moved them over to the built in shelf that runs alongside our fireplace.

I will live with them there for awhile and see if I want them to stay there  ;-)

I am also still head-over-heels in love with my mirror, so I also left it up there.

It pulls together the whole ‘white’ part of the theme.

I don’t have a close up shot of the greenery, but I tucked into it the

burlap and tulle garland I made last year, along with some of the unfinished

wooden ornaments I got in the Michaels dollar bin last year.

This was the quickest, easiest, and most inexpensive mantel I have ever put together,

and I am actually quite happy with it! I am reminding myself this season

of all the things I have to be thankful for – and one of them is having the ability

to make my home both comfortable and beautiful without expending all

of my energy, time, or our money. This little mantel makeover represents that ;-)

Let me know what you think of it – and is anyone else having the same kind of year?

Love you guys – wish I could just have coffee and a chat with all of you  ;-)

The Lettered Cottage

It is beautiful and creative!! Lovely!!

2. Julianne

Love it!! You truly can make something beautiful out of next to nothing….Again an inspiration.
    I’ll join you for coffee on this side of the screen…Peppermint Mocha is the flavor for this month in my kitchen.
    p.s. Waiting for my E6000 to dry ;-)

3. Kathy

I really like your mantel. You did a great job. I totally understand the no money thing. I, too, am doing my decorating with things I already have. Christmas shopping has been pared way down. And i’m really fine with that. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

4. Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

Its lovely! I especially love those buckets – cute idea – our kids are 18 and 22 and still wanted stockings this year – actually we all got new ones! I love the flowers on the shelving unit – I vote leave them there all year! lol

5. Deborah E

Sharyl your mantel is really pretty! I like that you created it out of things you had on hand.

I am with you on using what we have. When my children were home I collected lots of holiday decor items. So now I use them in different ways every year. I also like to use found things…..pine cones from the yard, trimmings from the boxwood, birch tree and evergreens in our yard.

Our budget for gifts is dramatically reduced. For 3 years now we have made gifts from mostly repurposed items. We shop the Habitat store, Goodwill and church thrift store. Our big project this year is a play kitchen (sink, stove and fridge) made from cabinets pulled out of a dumpster. Our 2 year old granddaughter will love it!

I hope your holiday is full of love and joy.

6. Linda@Coastal Charm

LOVE IT!!! Beautiful colors and those $1 Target buckets are just so darn cute. Would love to have you share it at my party today.

Blessings,
    Linda

Beautiful as always. You make me wish I had a mantel. Maybe in our next house. I hope the holiday season is treating you well! We should all remember to pause and enjoy it even though that can be hard to do with all the hustle and bustle.

8. Bonnie

Love how your mantel turned out! I love the soft neutral colors. It is so calming. I have to get moving on my decorating! Been too busy working on the master bathroom project! Now it is done so maybe I can focus more on the Christmas decorations!

Have a wonderful week!

9. Judy

Gorgeous! I was amazed that those were the SAME flowers from the fall mantle…I actually had to go back and look! Paired up with Christmas decor, they look almost like pointsetias! Perfect. I agree that they could be used year-round. Thanks for sharing.

10. Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com

Perfection! Your Chrstmas mantel is so charming, – causal elegance at it’s best! You are always so innovative and crafty. I love what you’ve achieved without buying anything new! Bravo!

Merry Christmas!!
    xo-Lisa

11. Steph

*sigh* I so wish I had a mantle to decorate. It’s gorgeous…great job using what you have