My Family Photo Book

Happy New Year my favorite readers!! (and you are all my favorite 😉

I want to share with you one of the gifts I gave this year to my family.

As some of you may know, this past year has been hard on us financially.

My husband has been having a hard time finding work (he is a plumber)

as the economy around here has slowed down. Because of that,

I had to use some creativity when it came to giving Christmas gifts this year.

I was really excited when I came upon these books, and am thrilled

I finally get to show it to you now that the recipients know about them!

I have seen online ads for these books, and decided I would look into it.

I discovered that I could make on through my iPhoto program with Apple.

(And for the record, this is not a sponsored post – I am just really excited about the product!)

The program allows you to choose theme, layout, font, and colors.

As you can see on the bottom of the screen shot – a hardback book with

20 pages is $29.99. It was a bit more than some of the other deals I found

online, but the fact that it integrated with my iPhoto was what sold me.

It took me a few days and several hours to put the whole thing together.

I had to edit all of the photo’s, and determine placement and text.

I was very nervous when I sent the order off to Apple!

But I was absolutely thrilled with the finished product!

The dust cover, which has pictures on it, can be removed and the pictures

are also on the hard cover of the book.

This was how I started the book –

One of my favorite projects – my grandchild garland!

The colors and quality were amazing!

One thing I will say though, is that all of my images were high resolution.

All photos were taken by me using my Nikon.

I did a few pages in black and white too – which I love!!

This is one of my favorite shots – the first time Miss Lydia Grace met her Aunt Melissa.. 😉

I  hope that my grandchildren will enjoy looking at their cousins

in this book – they live a long way apart and have not seen each

other in a few years.

These ones seemed to enjoy it Christmas morning!

I ended up almost being glad we had to count our pennies this year..

It made me have to use my creativity and come up with something

not only hand made, but different from any other gift they would get.

And I know that really is the spirit of Christmas – it just seems like I am

always so busy and it is easier to buy things. I am not saying there is anything

wrong with that, I am just glad I had to think outside the box this year 😉

I think it would be fun to make a “Little Brown House” book too – with pictures

of some of my favorite projects. What do you think about these books?

Have you ever made one? If so who did you go through and were you

satisfied with the results? Share your thoughts with us!!

1. Becki Foster

Our daughters gave us a book made of pictures taken at our 40th anniversary party. We really enjoy looking at the pictures and remembering all the friends and family that came to share our special day. I think it is a fabulous gift!

2. Susan

I’ve done a couple through Snapfish. (My daughter’s college graduation, my Papa’s WWII pics, family vacation) The quaility was great and the price was the same as what you paid. I love them.

Good to know! Snapfish was one of the places I had heard of-

3. Laura

We took our kids on a giant road trip during Thanksgiving of 2006 – we visited Guadalupe Mountains NP, White Sands NM, Mesa Verde NP, Four Corners, Monument Valley, Arches NP, Zion NP, the Stratosphere in Las Vegas (they rode the rides on top!), Grand Canyon NP, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert NPs, and Cadillac Ranch. We took a lot of photos of the kids together (and all of us, especially at the entrance signs to the parks), but we took a lot of individual shots of the kids in really cool places. For Christmas, we made each of them a personalized photo memory book that incorporated group shots but lots of shots of them with text commentary and memories. We also used Apple – they looked amazing, and the kids loved them!

We made books for my mother-in-law and father-in-law for their 70th birthdays in 2012. We used Shutterfly and we weren’t terribly impressed with the process. I think it had more to do with multiple people editing at the same time–each of their 4 kids had 5 pages to fill in plus a page for each grandchild. Some of the edits didn’t save, but I think that’s because someone else was editing at the same time. I’d be willing to try Shutterfly again if I was doing one on my own. I’m also going to try Snapfish to do a photo book of our dog that passed away in 2012. I’ll let you know if I like that one better. Yours looks great! I’ve been seeing a lot more of those photo books around and I think they’re a great idea.

5. Jan

Nope, but on my way to do my first one! What great birthday gifts they will make!

6. Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com

How precious that gift must be to your family! You did a beautiful job! I have made one through Apple myself, and I loved how it turned out as well.

This Christmas, my husband made a book for me and both sets of grands, of my 6 year old and his 2012 in review. He made it on Blurb, and it was really beautiful. The quality was amazing, and it is truly my most favorite gift this Christmas.

You SHOULD make a Little Brown House Book! It would be a great coffee table book, and you could even sell it on your blog!!

Glad to hear that you had a Merry Christmas!

xo-Lisa

7. melesa garrison

Our kids have given them to us (shutterfly) and they turned out really good! Yours were just lovey. I always say “pics are one of the best gifts ever”

8. Rupa

I have made a photobook on Shutterfly for each of our vacation. I always choose the custom path which gives me a lot of flexibility. If you sign up to Shutterfly, they often have 50% off photobooks and that’s when I use them :) Your book is gorgeous! I haven’t used your source for these books, I will look into it.

9. KathiJGermer
    12 months ago

Having read through this I think it is really informative.
    I appreciate you spending a little while as well as to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!